V twin backfire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by specialtylc, Feb 22, 2004.

1. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

What causes these v twin gas engines to back fire when you shut them off. My kohler 25 has been doing it for years. Last summer I ran other makes that were brand new and they did the same thing.Honda,Kawasaki , Kohler all did it.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Several diff. threads on the backfiring subject. Most just let the mower idle for a min. or two, and that will take care of it. Some have had to turn the fuel off, and let it run out. As far as I know, the single cylinders will backfire, too. Got a 12.5 KAW that will deff. do it.
    What causes it? unburnt fuel, hot motor, ect.

3. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

No backfire from my B/S 18 hp Vanguard twin---a good motor!!!

4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

The Vanguard motors are very good. But all motors can do it, doesn't make them any better or worse than any other. My FH500V has never backfired.

5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Try turning it off at quarter are half throttle.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

New kawi motors do it bad until they break in. After they get some hours on them they aren't as bad. My w/b kawis I let them idle for about 1-2 minutes in the cooler weather and 2-4 minutes in the heat before shut down.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

My Kawi 25 V-twin did it alot until it had about 50 hours on it. It did it more when killing the engine from idle. Try shutting it off at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and it won't do it anymore. At least mine didn't.
    A quote from my owner's manual (JD 757):

"IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! To help prevent engine backfiring, throttle lever should be set at the 1/2 position prior to stopping the engine."

8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I have the 20 hp carb type Kohler says in the manual (Walker) not to turn off the ignition at idle. Move the throttle up a little then turn er off.It goes on about a anti backfire solinoid, In any event it does not backfire when I follow this procedure. But once in a while it's good to stir up the neighborhood after cutting keeps everyone in line lol.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

THANKS for info on not shutting off at idle. Will try that in spring and see if it helps.