V-twin Briggs running rich...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mopar92, May 5, 2008.

1. mopar92

mopar92 LawnSite Member

Hi guys, first off, great site! I have a Husky 4818 with a Briggs and Stratton 18 HP. I just got it last month. It ran great but he had the choke rigged because the cable is frozen up. So, I unrigged it, and got the cable working. Yes, I am fully open on the choke. Anyway, mowed great, put it up, 2 weeks later, I go to start it this morning. It starts fine, and I go to mow, and when I kicked the blades on, it black smoked and is running rich. It wont run very well, but when I kick the blades off, it clears up. I undid the cable and zip tied the choke wide open and no difference. It looked like a nightmare to pull the carb, since the bolts come in from the back. Can anybody tell me what is going on? Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. mopar92

mopar92 LawnSite Member

Thanks..
    Model-405577
    Type- 0111E

4. mopar92

mopar92 LawnSite Member

I just ran it again after new fuel and new plugs.... it was ok for a minute, but still not strong. After a minute, it would barely run (smoke huge rich) with the blades on, but no blades was "ok". You can tell when the blades are off, it is running "good", but still not crisp. It just can't take any load.

5. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

I'm sure you have a clean air filter?

Regardless, this is a general symptom of a partially or fully blocked air bleed(s). More than likely you will have to Remove and thoroughly clean the carburetor. Replace all gaskets (mounting as well.)

6. mopar92

mopar92 LawnSite Member

Pulled the carb, used cleaner and air, and put it back on... no air filter... same thing..... Is there a fuel adjustment? High and low jet?

7. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

It's a fixed jet, but if the jet was loose.....

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, There are a few things that could be causing this run problem.

Have you checked the deck spindles and any idler pulleys for seizing ?

Valves out of adjustment could cause loss of power under load as well as a worn governor needing adjustment.

If none of the above solve the problem you may want to check into a new carb, Those Nikki carbs are junk when new but that's only my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Luck

9. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Rob,
    Isn't the piston supposed to be 1/4" past TDC?

10. mopar92

mopar92 LawnSite Member

I adjusted the valves which were very close anyway... no difference. I really can't see how the governor would make it rich unless it is tied in to some auto adjust needle for the fuel flow.... I am running out of options...