V10? Can you talk me out of it?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Keith, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I need a heavier-duty truck than my 95 F150. I just put a new engine and transmission in it, but it still is a bit on the light duty side. Everyday I tow with it I want a bigger truck and I am thinking about getting a new F350 with the V10. I wanted a diesel, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost. And I'm not sure I even want a 6.0 at this point after the problems quite a few people over on dieselstop have reported. So here we go, the basic numbers:

V10 F350 XL 4X4 CC LWB - The way I want it, about $30k-$2500 rebate, or about $27,500

6.0 PSD F350 XL 4X4 CC LWB - Same way as above with the diesel, about $34,500, no rebate available at this time.

These are both at X Plan prices, so about $7000 difference in the two. 87 octane here is running about 20 cents a gallon less than diesel :eek: Yes, I will probably have diesel envy everytime I see one, but 7k and the added cost of diesel fuel will buy a lot of gas :eek:

Another option is to buy a leftover 7.3. It will still be about $5000 or so over the V10 since it does have a $1500 rebate. But these trucks are getting hard to find and they ain't making 'em any more :D Then, of course I could buy a used one, but the deals on the good ones are hard to find and I prefer just buying a new one at X plan.

So there you have it. I want to here from both sides, the gas guys and the diesel guys. I want to your opinions since alot of you are doing the exact same thing with a truck as I am. I'd like to know what kind of fuel mileage you are getting with your gassers and diesels when towing. Our trailer is an open 16 footer that usually goes about 4000 lbs or so. We do go over that from time to time though.

Thanks

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I got a f350 4dr dually 460 it gets about 10mpg unloaded,on a good day.I'VE heard the v10 is just as bad.I would pay differance and go diesel.When I do buy one I expect to drive it 20yrs.:cool:

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I would compare torque specs between the two motors. The torque specs, not horsepower.

I would also consider the durability length the diesel will have in the long haul.

The diesel will get considerably better mileage than that V10.

I'll never, ever, buy a gas motor again.

4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

No brainer... Diesel. If your dead set on buying a ford, wait till next year when ford has had a chance to work the bugs out of the new engine.

5. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

I had a V-10 3/4 ton 4X4, the truck would pull anthing I wanted to, push snow and salt in the winter. I just got tired of stopping at a gas station everytime I passed one.

I traded mine in on a F-350 4X4 XLT, got the 7.3 PSD, instant payback milage wise, doubled milage.

From what I understand there are a few 7.3 PSD left, but you can not order one, only the new 6.0, I read the reports and still opted to go with the 7.3 PSD because it is a time tested engine.

I also bought mine on the X-plan, and got 1,500 discount.

If you choose to buy a V-10 let me know or email me, I have some info for you.

Good Luck, Keep us informed of what you buy and post some pics!!!!!

Rick

6. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

Get a 7.3 Powerstroke if you can find one or if you're ready for a real diesel try a Cummins :D . All busting aside the V-10 is a pig and you will regret you decision. I've had gassers but now that I have owned a diesel I will never go back. The cost of diesel Fuel will stabalize and you will be saving some serious $$$$ every month in your fuel bills.

What ever you do DON'T get a 6.0 liter. As you have read they are having BIG problems with that engine.

7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Over the next couple of years you will save that moeny back up in gas milage. My truck gets around 14 miles to the gallon pulling a 7-ton trilaer with a full size backhoe through town. Trust me desiel is the way to go.

8. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I have driven a V10 and i have both a powerstroke and a 6.5 GM.LOve the diesel the v10 has power was towing a trailer didn't even know it was there but MPG not good.These are reasons to get the diesel:

1 your gonna do alot of driving.
    2 Your gonna pull a trailer.
    3 your gona keep the truck for a longer period than 4 years.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Once you go diesel, you'll NEVER go back. Why do you think there is such a difference in price? Because they know it is worth more. Diesels will get better gas mileage, last at least 2x what a gas will run for, and will hold it's resale value more.

For maintenance I run a UD 6 cyl turbo diesel. For cleanups I have been dumping 3 tons of leaves daily. With the weight of that, and a 16' trailer loaded with equipment I am still over 14 mpg. Only fill up once a week, and the torque is better than any gas motor. I am pushing 217k miles and she still runs like new. Taking care of diesels and changing the oil religiously you can get 400k plus miles off a good motor. Definitely worth the $5k, in the long run. :cool:

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Alright, your pushing me toward the diesel again :D I was hoping to hear a few V10 users that really thought that was the way to go ;) Any thoughts on buying a slightly used 7.3? I don't even really know if that's an option since the getting is so good with X Plan and a rebate on the 7.3. Most dealers, anyway, want more than what I can get a new one for. I know there are still a few on the lots. I was waiting for the 6.0 in the first place, that's why I didn't get one last summer :eek: Now I would be really hesitant toward getting one of those.

Any thoughts on XL vs. XLT trim levels? There's quite a savings going with the XL. I may get tired of the seat, but at least it's easy to clean. Other than that, power windows and a cd player would be nice.