1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

V6 and 4-cylinder trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jkilov, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I'm thinking of downsizing my truck again to lower operating costs. I have went from a 7.3 powerstroke to a 5.4 gasser and thinking of going even further as there are rarely times when I need all that power.

Do any of you guys use 4 or 6 cylinder trucks to pull 4,000-5,000lbs and if so tell me you experience.
  2. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

S10 v6 is rated for 5000-6000 towing. 4 cylinders get 2000-3000 at best.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Ummmmm, not a smart idea. My 02 s-10 would lug my small enclosed around, 2 mowers and tools at about 3200lbs and would get at BEST 9mpg around town. Put your foot into it at one single stoplight and your mileage will drop to 8mpg for the week. Tighten up your route or raise your costs but I cant believe that you would think about pulling 5k around town with a small truck like that.
  4. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

What about stopping or sterring 5k around with a toy truck?
  5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I had three 1/2 ton v6 trucks for my lawn setup. 2 were 4.2 f150s and one 00 4.3 silverado. The silverado got the best mileage with it being around 12-13 pulling 4k. I now have a 4.6 3v f150 that gets around 12 with the same trailer. All city driving with a 4k 6x12 vnose enclosed trailer. I wouldn't go to a 4 bagger because the transmission is to small atleast with a v6 you'll get the same trans that comes on the v8

I use a Daihatsu Delta 2.8L diesel And get around 11Ks per L. Has a cap of 4t and works all day every day and doesn't complain. Tows a 6.5m Tandam axle trailer of around 2.5t.
  7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I don't consider it problematic. Many V6 trucks have a 5500 lbs towing capability so 4000lbs should work ok.

The mileage you guys posted is surreal. I get about 13mpg towing with my 5.4 and this gasser was never considered efficient. With a half laden trailer and some out of town driving this goes up to max. 16mpg.
  8. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

No... You can never have too much power. Ever. If given the choice as to wether I'd have a Pete 348 or an S10 to tow three mowers and trimmers, along with blowers and trailer, I'd pick the 348 and a big step down.
  9. grass catcher

grass catcher LawnSite Member

I bought a 2006 f150 v6 4.2l w/5sp man getting 12.5 to 13 pulling 6x12 open utility tandom axle 3 toro 21 s and 36 in gra wb
    always seems like I have to put my foot in it 11 mpg w jd717 w/bagger
    f 250 diesel gets 12 feel like I wasted my money to save 35 cents a gal
  10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

OOOOO come on unknownfl, I read all your posts about trucks and have learned quite a bit from ya just reading posts on here but no way were you getting 12-13 mpg pulling 4k with a 4.3. Being in a silverado makes that number even more unrealistic. My Zr2 S-10 with 31" tires and the 4.3 would get MAYBE 9mpg on a whole tank all week long pulling around my 3500-4k lbs I had. My dad has a 4.6 like you mentioned and mileage is same as yours around 12 pulling my trailer a few times.