V6 Tacoma Pros Cons

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TaketheMoneyandRun, Oct 14, 2009.

1. TaketheMoneyandRun

TaketheMoneyandRun LawnSite Member

Im considering starting an LCO this coming spring.
    1.Will a V6 Tacoma have any towing capabilty.
    2.Will a V6 Toyota be able to fit and handle a 36" Mower in its bed.
    All info is appreciated.

2. TaketheMoneyandRun

TaketheMoneyandRun LawnSite Member

PS..... I plan on starting part time(saturdays) How would a 4 cyclinder compare to a v6.

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

A V6 will tow better than a 4cyl, obviously. And if you plan on adding any trailer, you will be glad you have a V6 rather than a 4cyl. The tacoma V6 will have some towing capabilities but don't expect to tow too much more than a smaller trailer and a wb or two.

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look for my post "Gate support", the TopHat 16' is pulled with my 96 SR5 Toyota, I wouldn't load my 36'' in the bed of my truck, to much hassle, get a trailer.....

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I tow my 6 x 12 enclosed with Toyotas with less hp than a newish Tacoma V6. It can be done but If you plan on buying bigger heavier riding mowers you will want a bigger truck that can tow a bigger trailer etc.

As for me I'm happy fine focusing on 1/4 acre or less properties for mowing and I believe sometimes less is more.

Yes a 6 foot Toyota bed will accommodate a Quick 36 just fine. I think another mowing contractor here runs Ford Ranger pickups with a 36" Wright standers loaded in the bed.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A 4-cyl is fine for hauling a mower in the bed of the truck....for pulling a trailer they are NOT good. Take it from me, I did that for a year. Unless its a stick shift, then you get a little better towing capacity.

A 6-cyl Tacoma will be fine under either scenario, especially if you're just towing a trailer and one mower.

7. tropical breeze

tropical breeze LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 97 dodge 1500 only issue is the 171,000 miles any feedback on this truck. And I would say go with a V-6 or more and get a trailer.

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

What year toyota
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I would also suggest a v6 and a small trailer especially with one or two mowers

10. Squires4Seasons

Squires4Seasons LawnSite Member

A v6 would be fine. I own a 2005 Tacoma TRD Crew Cab and could pull a 16' open trailer when my chevy k2500 is down without any problems. Make sure that most of the weight is on the axels of the trailer.

I wouldn't recommend a 4 cylinder.