V8 or V6

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cubedmack, Apr 9, 2011.

1. cubedmack

cubedmack LawnSite Member

What's a good truck to run with these high gas prices? Thinking about downsizing to a small V8 or maybe a V6. My Chevy 2500 is killing me on gas.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Well I have a 4cyl Toyota and I get about 13mpg because it works so hard. so I guess it depends on how hard you plan to work the vehicle.

3. Lance712

Lance712 LawnSite Member

Small v8. We have a 1/2 ton v6 for a spare. Its a turd when it comes to pulling a trailer it just works it like crazy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if you can pull a small trailer like a 5x10 with a 4cyl toyota then you can get 18-20mpg. depends on how weighted down it is. all i carry on mine is a ztr and a pushmower. trimmer and blower are in the bed of the truck. if you have a big load then try a v6 if it isn't too heavy. you might get 15mpg if you're lucky.

5. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare LawnSite Member

I would recommend a Chevy 5.3 liter. In most unloaded conditions it gets very similiar milage to a small v8 (like the 4.8 liter), but when towing it will probably get better mileage because it doesn't have to work as hard. Just by stepping down to a half ton, you will see a considerable increase in MPGs. Your 2500 is heavier, geared lower, and has a larger tranny which takes more power to run.

6. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

my 94 6.5 diesel gets 14! loaded, unloaded, what ever,, 14! Sad, but then again, it's a Ex-cab Longbox 2500 3/4ton with a 8500 GVW. I'm a small solo guy W/ a trailer, 1 ZTR & rest of stuff in the bed. But I can make BioDiesel in my polebarn for about $1.25- $1.50 per gallon, and my truck love's it!! Mileage does go down to 11 or 12 on Bio,, but who cares at that price. ;)

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't see that gas mileage without a trailer and a supercharger!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If your truck is paid off and not falling apart, it's a losing proposition. You would not save enough on gas to pay for a new one. Besides that, it remains to be seen how well a new 1/2 ton would do towing. My regular cab F150 with a 302 and a 5 speed got 10 towing around town. My 4x4 F350 Crew Cab V10 gets 8.5-9mpg.

Now, if you are using this truck for personal use as well, then it might be a decent idea. The difference in mpg in a 3/4 ton and new 1/2 ton unloaded will be huge. My solution to this was to buy a 4 cylinder Ranger for that, and to use the F350 only for business.

9. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I roll with a Nissan Frontier 4 cyl, get over 25 without trailer and around 21 mpg's with the trailer. I pull a 5x12 with 1,000 lb ZTR, handhelds, tools, and walk behind. For larger jobs, I have a regular cab dually 454 that stays hooked to a larger trailer.

10. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Binky, is your frontier a extended cab or crew cab? Also is it standard or manual? I'm really thinking about getting a small truck to save gas. My f-250 is killing me, definatley don't need a diesel for hauling around one walk behind.
    Posted via Mobile Device