V8 or V6

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cubedmack, Apr 9, 2011.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I will tell you this:

Extended / King cabs are bad for fuel economy.
    You want fuel economy then don't get one with a back seat.

Engines much over 5 liters (~300 cid's) are not so good either, you want decent fuel mileage
    then that engine comes in under 318 cid's or under 5.2 liters, no two ways about it.

Air conditioned luxury trucks (SLT's / XLT's) bad.
    Get a standard truck, no frills, no thrills.

Short or standard beds are far better than the long bed as well.
    Every foot of truck adds 500-800 pounds of weight.

Height is bad, the higher the truck sits, the worse your fuel economy will be.
    Avoid buying raised trucks, avoid raising them, stick with OEM shocks and springs and wheels and tires.

Inflate your tires to Max.PSI sidewall, check them often.

Start learning how to drive with load.
    (Certain hypermiling techniques such as Driving Without Brakes might come in helpful as well).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

I run a little v6 in my S-10 and pull a 5X10 with a walk behind, push mower, and a tractor on it and it does a lot better than the V8 Titan I had last season.

3. jp1119

jp1119 LawnSite Member

ive parked my 2500hd gmc and started using my 1500 silverado (work truck regular cab) with the 4.3 v-6 pulling my 7x16 trailer with 2 grasshoppers and to many hand tools to list getting 18 to 20 mpg depending on which route im working. I was very surprised how well the v-6 does

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my tundra v6 tows great but mpg is only 12.5

5. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I have an extended cab auto. I would recommend a manual, as it has an increased towing capacity. I added a transmission cooler, an exhaust, high flow intake, etc. Pulls real good and keeps me real efficient.

6. BenThere Lawncare

BenThere Lawncare LawnSite Member

Im honestly not even that worried about fuel prices with the mileage im getting in my F250. Its a 99 4x4 Ext cab Long bed with the the 7.3 diesel. When I first bought it everything was stock and I was getting around 14-15 mpg city. I then put a new 5 inch exhaust on it, cold air intake, and put a superchip in it to increase performance. I now am getting around 19-20 mpg in the city with much more power then before. Towing my 5x12 trailer drops my mpg by about 1.5. I recommend you diesel owners look into getting some modifications done.

7. madisonpressurewashing

madisonpressurewashing LawnSite Senior Member

do you drive hard?

8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the city and highway fuel economy for the 5.3/6 speed combo on the Chevy/GMC 1500 ton? I currently own a 2000 Sierra 2500 with the 6.0 gas. It's been a great truck and motor but it guzzles fuel. I was thinking of stepping down to a 1/2 ton too.

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

The 5.3 is a dog. I was just working this morning using mine. I have a 2010 chevy 1500 5.3/6spd z71 and I was pulling my 12' single axle trailer with my small toro 48" ztr and I was getting 10mpg. Pretty pathetic IMO. The truck gets great mileage when empty but towing is a joke. Not even that powerful.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your truck a reg. cab, crew cab, or ext. cab? What does it get when it's empty?