va pesticide business license

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by old oak lawn, Mar 17, 2007.

1. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is it hard to get a pesticide business license in va.I have the va core manual and the turf pest controal books/lots of reading.The paper work i have says you have to be a registered tech and work for someone who is a certified commercial applicator first.How hard is it to get into this part of lawn care. Are there any classes i can take i want to learn as much as i can.Thanks for your help.:)

2. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Well.... VA is not the most regulated state..... but you do need to be a commercial applicator or hire one to get your commercial Business license. To be a Commercial applicator yourself (in VA anyway) you need some hands on experience and previous training - like being a registered tech for another company for a while. Then you have to pass the tests (they give them on a touch screen at the DMV now). The state offers many classes - but the hands on will be your biggest benefit.... both application and safety wise. Good luck .

3. old oak lawn

Thanks GREENITUP i want to offer more then the normal mowing service.I am getting customers asking about fertilizer so i think it would be a good business move to be able to offer it. I will look into what the state offers for a class.Thanks for your help.

4. pasto_guy

pasto_guy LawnSite Member
    from VA

You don't have to have the experience. If you contact vdacs and explain that you are wanting to become compliant with regulations, then you should be able to take the tests. The core is easy. 3-b is a little harder but not to bad.

5. greatlawns

greatlawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Here in NJ regulations are very strict, but you do not need to have the on-the-job training. You can take an CORE course plus an 8 hour specific category course in lieu of the on-the-job. That is your best bet and what I did. After you get completion certificates, you can take the CORE and category (3B) test. Once you do that, you become a commercial applicator. You can then apply for a business license.

If you are going to do it, do it right. The fines, etc for doing it the wrong way are just not worth it.

6. old oak lawn

Thanks greatlawns and pasto guy does anyone know a course in va i can take like the one in NJ.Want to learn and do it right.thanks