1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vac.. dust problem.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I just bought a little Toro Timecutter with a nice spindle driven vac bagger. The whole setup is a like a mini xmark with ultravac. I've got a few accounts that want the leaves vacuumed in the fall. Anyway, I've started using it and notice how much dust comes out of the bags. The whole back of the machine get covered in dust.
    Since, I can't every leave anything in stock form, I took automobile undercoating and sprayed the front of each bag and an inch or two on the sides, sealing them.
    WOW, what a difference. Now there's no dust that comes from the front of the baggers and the back of the machine is almost dust free.
    Thought you guy's might want to try this out on your "big" machines :p It sure helps with the dust problem.
    I'm sure some of you guy's are bagger leaves at this time, I am.
  2. Does it still vac/bag good? I thought the air needed to flow through the bag.
  3. Doc Pete

Na, it works fine. Just think when the bags are full (and filling one before the other), no air goes through the bags. Anyway, sealing just the front makes no difference.............
  4. Was thinking of my billygoat vac, it has felt bags - if they dont get washed 2X year I notice reduced efficency.
    I'd love to get rid of the dust.
  5. Doc Pete

My bagger and "I think" all rear baggers, besides having porous bags, have top venting out the rear as the bags become full. I had the billygoat, and know the problem.... no fun
  6. Toro Timecutter?????????

What are you buying a resi mower for??????????????

NOT even close to a eXmark or even a commercial mower.

HAHAHAHAHA Good cheap idea but it wont last long on a commercial level.

So for all that you saved $2000 or so?

I love how some of you use that tax deduction you are allowed.

BTW my dust is shot out the back of my Peco Vacs only. I don't need a dust mask to use them.
  7. Doc Pete

Wow, so tell me where I can buy a new commercial exmark with blower unit for around $5,700 + (6%) tax or $6,050, since my new complete unit, vac, bagger, and tax to my front door was $4,000.
    However, thanks for prematurely worrying about my commercial use of the machine. FWIW, I will be using the unit commercially, but it will see very limited use. Actually, that’s why I couldn’t see spending too much money on a unit that would sit idle much of the time. On the other hand, the 44” inch machine will allow me to get through the 48”gates of those few lawns that demand bagging. And, don’t forget to email me that website for buying those great priced exmarks.
    Thanks for the encouragement
  8. Time cutter sells for more here but I was only $500 more off for a 44" Lazer hp with an ultra vac.

Heck you could have actually used it to mow even, but then again you like WB's.

I did say it was a novel idea in my own way.
  9. Doc Pete

And you are correct. I'm just testing the waters. I don't really want to mow much with it, but I've got a couple of lawns that want to be bagged..... we'lll see how it works out......
  10. Let us know how it works out, some guys and gals on here need a less expensive way to collect leaves.

I wonder how those eaton trannies will hold up.

Sorry for bustin' your chops on it.