1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vac - Rake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blankenshiplawncare, Dec 4, 2004.

1. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Is anyone using a handheld vac like the Stihl sh85 or other for small properties or are you just raking up leafs? I have a couple of properties that could deem the purchase of one of these but I have never used one. Any feedback??

2. blankenshiplawncare

I need to add that these properties are garden properties in the down town area that I can't blow with out pushing things into the neighbors garden area.
  3. blankenshiplawncare

4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

A handheld vac? Like those homeowner types? I can bag 6 (55 gal.) bags of leafs by the time that thing can suck up a small bag full.

Those things are just a marketing gimmick. Even a bad choice for a homeowner.
  5. back 4 to 5 years ago we purchased a handheld blower-vac for roof cleanup ( hard to manage getting off roofs with a backback ) steep pitch and after we got it we thought it was junk as a blower( blower tube would come out no matter how tight you got it ) r and begain using it as a vac setup on parkinglot edges it was a CRAFTMAN now we use 6 husquvarna handheldblower vacs for vacuming onlywork great if pick up is your business .....we bag everything and to pick them up and bag the leaves at the same time sames time and makes money.................BAGS ARE SMALL AND ONLY HOLD A FEW LEAVES ...NOT RECOMMENDED FOR OVER 200 FT OF CLEANUP USE 40 GALLON GARBAGE CANS TO DUMP BAG IN TO SAVE TRIPS TO TRUCK
  6. blankenshiplawncare

you have to picture a garden on the side of a house that doesn't have any grass only small trees, shrubs, flowers, etc. they are about 1000 sqft total space. Its hard to take a blower into a small bed and blow it into a walkway without getting it into the adjacent bed. I can rake them out but will damage the plant life over the course of time. I have been blowing the beds out but at very low speed.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a small blower vac and use it some on cleanups. mainly window wells, and doorways. It is pretty slow vacing an area by walking back and forth. What I would do (and have done) is rake the leaves into piles and suck them up from the pile. these vacs don't have a lot of power if the leaves are matted or stuck in the plants. A rake will loosen them and make them easier to vacume. Some areas will still probably be faster just to rake up and bag. The nice thing about a vac is that it shreds everything and you can get a lot more in one bag than with whole leaves.
  8. blankenshiplawncare

Thanks for the advise and thoughts. I assumed the things had more power than you imply. I might reconsider.

9. our CRAFTSMAN vac was under par by our standards 25 cc engine = underpowered our husqvarna units have twiced the engine= faster pickup and less time doing so ........1000 sqft of leaves(picked up every 2 weeks with craftsman 45 mins to bag and leave husqvarna's 30 mins max due to faster pickup .....will pick up wet leaves good where the craftsman you might have to drag it across wet debris
    .........if your budget is good look into a portable (push style unit ) with a off site extention hose we opperate one with a 8 hp engine 6" X16' pickup hose and a 6 cubic ft removable hard bag it was $2100 it all depends on you $
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not enough hours in a day. This is kind of like those walk behind vacs, like Billygoat. I have a machine that will not only suck the leaves up into a bag, but will also mulch them finely (more than the vac), and even suck up grass AND cut it if I want. It's called a bagging mower. Don't use it though,...it's not productive enough.