1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vac systems with engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Mar 27, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, for all u guys out there who have "innovative moments" from time to time, try this one...

I have a 52" Encore ZTR (not the new s*** ones, by the way) with a 5 HP TRAC VAC on the back for mulching/bagging. Only one problem: when you turn around to start another row, the gas goes to one side of the tank, air gets into the carb instead of gas, and then it stalls.

I already go as slow as I possibly can when I'm turning, but it still only happens on the turns. If its doing strait rows, its fine. I was thinking about rolling up a piece of metal and shoving it down in there, and unrolling it (somehow) to help stop the "tidle wave" effect. Anyone else got a better idea?

atlantec landscaping logo-small.jpg
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is MOST likely NOT a gas tank related problem. It is MOST likely a carb float problem or a large piece of dirt in the carb floating around. 5 hp engines don't "drink" that much gas to stumble when your turning for 2 seconds. Now if you had a LARGE gas tank (like on a truck) long and flat, yes, it could be possible. But todays small engine tanks will not likely starve for fuel until its VERY close to being totally DRY.

Get your carb checked out.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Tommy.

We have 6 Trac Vac systems for the last 8 years or so with 5 and 6hp B/S pony motors on them. Not once have I heard any employee telling me about that kind of problem. Only problem I have ever got from them is seeing over/around the front barrels on the WB's.

Hope you find your answer.
  4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

thanx a bunch Tom! Drove me crazy getting off evey pass!

oh ya, rodfather, I think those WB trac vacs are poorly desgned--should be a lower profile. Just my 2 cents...
  5. NO problems here. keep your gas full.

lazer w peco vac1.jpg
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This one NEVER stalls!

casefall02 026.jpg