Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ozd12005, Aug 15, 2006.

1. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

trying to get ready for leaf season, as a solo operation I have tried the blower and rake method thus looking for an easier way of doing my postal size properties. I saw this unit at my local dealer and was hoping to get any feed back

m_leafvacuum_05.jpg

2. MoviePimp

MoviePimp LawnSite Member
    from IN

They suck (in a bad way). I guess they would do ok if the leaves were just lightly sprinkled on the very top of the grass. Anybody who has done leaves knows they are always matted down and tangled into the grass. You would be better off with a commercial Snapper 21" Hi-Vac. I suppose if you could get the leaves onto a hard surface the leaf vacuum would do alright. I would still think doing postage stamp yards the 21" Hi-Vac would be quicker.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I do some postage size properties and there is nothing better than my redmax 7000 and 7001 backpack blowers. They rock!!!!!!! And get the job done in no time from around bldgs, landscape areas, to the lawn to finished :headphones: payup :waving:

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

What about the bigger billygoat multi surface vacs and such? Any good?

Cheers
    Jeff

5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to look at Billygoat or Little Wonder vacs. Most people I have talked to say they work good on hard surfaces but not very good on grass.

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We have a Little Wonder Vac and it works great in dry leaves but when the leaves become damp...forget it! almost instant clogging and its a pita! to take apart the housing to clean it out. We did however buy a suction tube that takes the place of the snorkle for doing flower beds and hard to reach spots and it seems to excell there. I don't know if I would ever buy one again though. Its hard to push in grass when it becomes slightly full. Two guys using tarps...1hr, job done! Two guys using this thing...one guy cleaning out the vac after 5 minutes of use,-.5hrs, the other guy standing watching him laughing-.5hrs- nothing done!

7. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the snapper 21" hi vac commercial with the 6 hp kaw, Great for sucking up dirt and dry clippings, I had problems with it in the spring trying to suck up damp leaves and still feel this unit is underpowered.

8. MoviePimp

MoviePimp LawnSite Member
    from IN

I have only had problems sucking them up when they are severly matted down into mud (you know those wonderful spring clean-ups that should have been done mid November:hammerhead: ). You just have to break out the rake and rough it up a bit (only thing sucking those leaves out of the mud is the Death Star tractor beam!)

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

quicker with a powerful backpack blower, tarp and rake

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I actually have one of those Snapper units,
    I bought it for small parking lots but, found it very usefull in my own yard with magnolia leaves.
    It's very versatile because of the high wheels and it leaves a manicured look to the lawn.
    Some of the objections posted so far are valid but, think about some of them. Wet leaves are hard for almost anything. The bag is zippered and takes about 30 seconds to get off and dump. There's also a hose attachment for it. It retails for around $700.
    Don't think you're going to do a heavily wooded lot with this quickly. A better, faster method would be to blow them to the street and suck them up with a truck loader but, if you need something to suck out the beds and leave a manicured look this is it. This little thing makes the lawn look really good.