1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vacant Lot Mowing Prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MCGRAIL LAWN, Mar 24, 2003.

1. I have an add in the local newspaper advertising:

The City of BLA_BLA_BLA
    is accepting bids for grass cutting on vacant properties within the city limits.

The City has 5 differnt lot sizes.
    6,600 sq. ft.

Successful bidder would need to be availiable on a daily basis and the mowing should be completed within 48 Hours of contact.

Bid Price should include mowing, trimming, sweeping, raking, and disposal of grass clippings.

The contractor must become licensed with the city of BLA-BLA"

This is a sealed bid process all bids will be opened on April 3 10am

I realy need some help with the bid
    I have no idea what I should submit a bid for.
    Any Help would be nice.

I plan on mowing any of these after my daily route if contated.

A-Z LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

:blob2: I would just bid 25.00 per lot and call it good you cant stop the truck for less than that i know they are small lots but think about it do you really want to stop the truck for any less than 25.00 ?

Time is money !!!!

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'm not sure I fully understand.
    You have to be available on a daily basis? Why so if they call you, you have to get out there in 48 hours?

How often are these vacant lots going to be mowed for the season?
    Knowing how often will affect how you will bid.
    How much garbage will be in these lots? Will you be spending a considerable amount of time cleaning up debris before you can start mowing?

A-Z: So if these lots are to be mowed 6 times each per year, you would mow each one of them for only 25 bucks each time?
    I must be missing something here.

Can't successfully bid without knowing how many times per season the city wants these mowed.
  4. It sounds like we will be mowing lots in violation of city grass height ordanances.

Grass might be 12" high
    and there may be trash there

We dont know
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

There will be a lot of trash to deal with and a considerable amount of additional wear and tear on your equipment. I do not use my daily mowers for occasions like this. I have an older Gravely walk behind that I use. I would need more info to give an accurate bid.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you will be dealing with high grass, trash, dogs, drug needles, angry homeowners, etc. There is no satisfacton to be derived at these locals. I would stay away unless you really need the work. Dont under bid or you will be sorry later.
    You might want to look at the City ordenance to find out how much they charge violators and base your price with that in mind.

If they charge $100 per offense why should you bid $25.00, and they make $75.00 for just calling you.

A-Z LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I thought these were weekly mowing not weed abaitment job's

We charge $ 60.00 for mobilization and sixty an hour for mowing / trash service that can be done with a Ztr. we wont pick up anything more than paper and cans on the property, we are not in the trash service and the city will remove all big trash.
    75 per hour for rough cut mower.
  8. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

I'd bid zero. You got bigger fish to fry.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Very correct. I don't care how hungry you are.
  10. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

There was a vacant lot on my street. The city would call this guy to come and cut. The grass was so tall it was laying down. This poor guy was there 1.5 hrs and I couldn't begin to tell you the **** he hit (rock ,limb,trash,etc).

they finally tore the place down (trailer on a pad) he came to do another cut I don't know what he hit but it shut him down for the day.

think long and hard about this. You will be cutting at places that have not been taken care of at all.:angry: