Vacation Days

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DBLC, Mar 10, 2004.

1. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

I give my full timers 3 sick days and 7 vacation days ALL paid! This is the first year I have done this. Does this sound fair? How do I increase? Does anyone have a spread sheet for documenting the dates the used them. Should I require notice for using vacation days? Can they use them during the "peak" season? Thanks for your help!!!
  2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area they wouldnt work. To long of a winter to not work when the sun is shining. Back to your question, I feel a week notice is fair for you and them. If an employee takes a week off will it set you back? If so I would say 2-3 days in a row maximum can be used with vacation. Only you would know if they can request off during peak season. I wouldnt give paid sick days, but the ones they dont use, at the end of the year I would reimburse them for those days. Otherwise you might be giving an employee 3 self-inflicted sick days. i.e, closed the bar down the night before.
  3. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

Just like promower said lots of vacation in the winter. When I sell I'm coming to work for you, DBLC!
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We give our help a weeks vacation after one-year employment, and they receive 4 holidays with pay. Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. These holidays occur during the working season. They are entitled to them as far as I'm concerned. Even though they have most of the winter off, it's not their business and they don't want to always work as much as an owner would. My help all work a lot, but they also enjoy a day off to relieve some stress. It makes for a better work environment and they realize you, as an owner, are concerned about them. Just plan accordingly and it goes smoothly. Think back when you were an employee, although you may have worked a lot, it wasn't your business and it was nice to have a break once in awhile. Any vacation time needs to be scheduled a minimum of two weeks prior to taking off. Our entire summer is "peak season", so they are missed at any time they may want off. Our help work as many hours in nine months, as most do in twelve.
  5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

we give our employees a nice long unpaid vacation, from 2nd week in december to the 1st of march.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

My managers receive about 3 weeks paid vacation. One around July 4th the rest in the winter. Otherwise for every 30 days of employment they receive 1 paid day off, other than designated holidays. They work hard and the reward is there for their taking.
  7. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Thanks for the GREAT replies! What about salary employees? If they use all there sick and vacation days, do you start deducting from there weekly salary?

SODKING One paid day after every month.........WOW!!!! THAT'S ALOT!!!!
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how I did it was for vacation days they needed to give me "just notification of vacation," and I had the right to deny them the vacation at a certain time if were had a big project or something.

Usually increase the vacation by one day for every year in employment.

We pay employees for 5 holidays, but no paid sick days. They can use the vacation day as a sick day though
  9. WaitnonCharlie

WaitnonCharlie LawnSite Member

I have full-time "desk" job and just getting into the business. One thing that our company does instead of X number of Vacation Days and X number of sick days is that they give them all to you. However, if you call in sick more than a certain number of times a year, you could be let go. What you find is that some people will go ahead and call in sick, just to get those last days. It might be better to go ahead and give them the days and have them schedule (honestly instead of calling in about a stomach ache) their days off so you can adjust your schedule. Same concept as what you have already... If they go over the days, you either let them go or dock their pay...
  10. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Employee manual.... have it all in writing and have them sign that they have read and understand it.

Give all the paid vacation you can afford to let them have ( Its a deductable expense )

Employee manual.......