Vacation development bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bayfish, Dec 15, 2003.

1. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

How much would you bid to mow, trim, blow 522 homesites in gated bayfront community?

522 lots at 1100 sq. ft. each
    173 lineal ft. trim
    blow clippings from walk

to be mowed weekly for 31 weeks.
    All very flat, few yard obstacles, no edging.
    No irrigation.

mulch, shrub trim and spray done at owners request, invoiced separately.

Appreciate any input.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

bayfish
    The lots are 1,100 or 11,000 sq. ft?

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Only 173 feet of trimming for 522 lots?

Hard to give an estimate with the limited info. but here I would charge appx.
    30,000.00 a month based on a 12 month contract.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If its 1,100 ft I would agree with Avery some where around 30-35k a month ON A 12 MONTH CONTRACT.

1,100 ft lot is smaller than most homes!

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

bayfish-Sounds like a nice account for 1100sqft lots.You should knock those out pretty quickly. Was it 173 lft each lot or 173 lft frontage or something like that? I'm w/ Mac and Avery, around 32k-35k depending on the trimming distances.Try for longer than one year on a property like this, go for three to five with negotiations & yearly % increases for COL increases / fuel expenses. Good luck

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

To help clear up a little confusion the "homes" are of a, what shall I say, mobil nature. I am familiar with the place bayfish is talking about.

You guys get a lot of money for cutting an acre of grass. It works out to $839 an acre per cut.

If you can cut 10 lots per hour (probably on the very low side) that would work out to $210 an hour which is about 4 times the going rate.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I ran too long editing my message so it would not save the changes. Basically in a nutshell he can still profit (after costs, before personal income tax) $125,000 a year if he cuts his bid in half from what you guys are suggesting.

My bid would be $15,500 a month for 12 months and that's still probably too high.

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

$161820 $10 each of 522 x 31 wks. lot size of 25'x 45' = 1125 sq ft as example. say you can cut 6 per hour. That is 87 man hours per wk onsite plus travel and maintenance time. If this is mobil homes you won't have to trim around skirts because of possible dammage. You may be able to make money at $8.5 per cut if all they want is mow and go.RM says yu can do 10 per hr. and he seems to have seen this property. Do you have to bill each individual or one bill to association?

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry guys, the lots are 1100 sq.ft each with 173 lineal ft of trimming each.

Yeah the homes are very small, look like a small mobile but with vinyl siding.

I am estimating doing about 10 per hour at least.

At $6.25 per lot would be $62.50 per hour.

All homes have landscape timbers around the skirting with mulch, so not much chance of damage to that.

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in maryland and 31 wk season doesn't require cutting every week. Maybe this year with all the rain but you should have many weeks in a normal year where it doesn't need cutting. Sounds like a good account to have as long as you bill the association and not individuals. I get the sence you feel the lowest price will take the job and others will be bidding on this property.