Vacation- What to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gdguth, Jun 2, 2010.

1. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Well, my wife thought we just had to have this vacation planned for the middle of June. Problem is, I am solo and have been super busy with all the rain. Anyways, I have a buddy that is going to cover for me while I am gone. He owns his own lawncare business as well so i am glad that he can help. I know this is probably a stupid questions, but do you think that I should tell my customers that I am going to be gone and he is going to cover for me or should I just not worry about it. I just know that the customers are use to only seeing me on the job. What do you think tell the customers or not?

2. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them. They'll appreciate the heads up.

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

You bet I would tell them. That way it will stop all of the calls you would probably be getting afterwards and they will know what is going on.

4. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

tell them so you can enjoy your vacation

5. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely tell them!! I've done something similar before. Made sure I called to clarify... too many questions and misunderstandings can result from you not calling.

6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have any kind of relationship with your customers, then you need to tell them. I'm on a first-name basis with all my customers, and when they hear the equipment running, they expect to see me working. I know they'd appreciate the heads-up if someone else is going to be in their yard.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

i would tell them, hopefully they dont like his work more than yours!

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't tell them you will lose some customers, they'll think you went away
    or something happened, so yeah...

9. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

Best solution is don't go on vacation between April 1st and October 31st for anything more than a long weekend! I leave Saturday morning for my first week long vacation during the mowing season in 14 years! I have had employee's for a long time but never felt good about leaving for a full week during mowing season. I now have the right people in place and I am fully confident in them (it still will not be easy on my anxiety).

If you insist on going I say absolutely tell them but some good points have been made. Hopefully they don't like his work better and hopefully he wont try to steal your customers away.