1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jun 8, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

For all of you single owner/operators out there: How do you take a vacation? If you are lucky enough to have business all week, how could you ever take time off without having someone sub for you? The grass isn't going to stop growing just because you are on vacation.

Just wondering,

Joel B.
  2. except for holidays vacation is Dec & Jan
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Same as Bob. Winter.

For me vacation time starts December 1st and ends around March 1st.

Ahh.....3 months a year ROCKS! :D

Of course, being a solo operator, it feels like I work 2 years worth during those 9 BUSY months...whew!
  4. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Oops, forgot to mention snow plowing. What if you were plowing snow too? Couldn't really leave in the winter for fear it would snow while you were gone.

Joel B.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I am partime but I usually take my vacations in the winter months. I don't snow plow so I just take my vacations in the winter. Last year I was able to get a weeks vacation, the first week of July. Since, all of my lawns were to dry to mow.

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll, well I would, go nuts trying to sneak in a vacation between snow events. Its not going to be enjoyable watching the weather channel while your on the beach in FL and an Alberta Clipper is headed to your area.

With no real time off during the Summer, I do not offer snow removal.

Late March or early November would be your best bet for "planning" time off in MN.
  7. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We take every other week off from October 1 through March 31 every year. But we are thinking about taking a whole month off this winter to visit some family. We'll run it by our customers and see if they understand. Not much grass grows then so it probably won't be a problem.

It is nice to have some down time during the winter months. But we make up for it during the summer months. We kind of only have two seasons down here in Florida -- at least for our business, that is!

Does anyone miss the job during the slower or dormant seasons? We do!!! Call us crazy, but we love our job!!!
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We usually get a dormant period in August. I say usually because last year it was in July and September. It can give you an opportunity for 6 or 7 days if gets hot enough.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Usually take vacation in Dec., Jan., or Feb. In Aug. our mowing slows down due to drought conditions. I try to get away then for 4 or 5 days by skipping some properties and moving others around on my schedule.:)
  10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I go to the Outerbanks in late July every year with my family. I sub all my lawns out to a friend for 80% of what I get. Its kinda nice to sit on the beach and make 20% for doing nothing. The sub just mows and goes, but I dont care and neither do the clients. Besides, he makes my work look better when I start agian.