Vacuum Breakers from Home Improvement Stores

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rkelachim, Jul 19, 2007.

1. rkelachim

rkelachim LawnSite Member
    from IA

Anyone know if the vacuum breakers sold at Lowe's, Home Depot, and the like are contractor quality?

I know the home improvement stores heads, valves, and such are lesser quality than from supply houses. Is the same true for Backflow Prevention devices?
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I know they both sell the the Febco PVB and RP that I use and get from my suppliers. Same product.
  3. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

It may be the same but I know that Moen, the faucet manufacturer used to produce faucets for Home Depot that had the same model numbers and packaging as the faucets from the plumbing supply houses.

But there was often an "H" in the part number and although these faucets looked exactly the same, many parts that were chromed brass on the supply house model were plastic on the HD model.

I bought a case of faucets once thinking I was getting a good deal and had the difference explained to me by the manufacturer's rep when I complained.

I've been skeptical of big box store "brand name" products ever since.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just how much money do you stand to save with home center backflow?
  5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Well, if he doesn't get a contractors discount at supply houses, I would guess about 40%.
  6. rkelachim

rkelachim LawnSite Member
    from IA

I probably won't save much of anything at the home store...It's less of a cost issue and more of a convenience issue (I'm only installing one system). If they're the same quality product, I'd just pick it up at Lowe's. If they're lesser quality, I'd just assume spend a little more and travel a little further to pick up a good quality vacuum breaker...
  7. I have bought them at Lowes and a pinch and far from the supply house...I hope they're the same....
  8. Since it is a device that concerns the safety of the water supply, I would not be soo weary of buying the same device at a big box store or from the irrigation supply house such as Ewing, JDL or Horizon.

Because we are talking about safety vs operational quality, it would just seem common sense.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Compare the model numbers. If they are the same as the manufacturers published model numbers, then there is no reason not to trust what your getting from the big box.

It is when the model numbers differ (suffix added on the the model number, etc..) that you need to wonder if your not getting a piece of junk specially made for the distributor.