Vacuum leak inside the Pump?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ErikWP, Apr 22, 2005.

1. ErikWP

ErikWP LawnSite Member

I have triple checked all connections from the pump to the check-valve, and they all seem to be sealed up, but the pump is still loosing prime.

How can I determine if the leak is inside the pump? What would I look for?

Thanks for all the help.

2. johnnyaqua

johnnyaqua LawnSite Member

Install a vacuum gauge on intake side of the pump to see if the pump is operating properly. If you've lost prime previously and ran it hot you may have an internal leak around the ceramic shaft seal.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

and report back when you get this straightened out. I'm somewhat curious about the time and trouble you're taking for a job that lies clearly out of your experience.

4. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

I have just had to mess with this also but it was my house pump and well! if it was my irrigation it wouldn't have made me so crazy. well you have a leak somewhere on the intake. all of that "good" glue job u did and plenty of thread tape well let me tell u there is a leak. i first thought there would be water leaking out but not true it has a suction on it so it is only letting air in. Here is what i did. i have a 1 1/4 inch well and pipe so i got a "t" with threaded sticking up so i could prime it and a 1 1/4 threaded plug (easier that a 3/4 to prime. i put this "T" at the point in the pipe that looked to be the highest point and filled it up. My pump also was having a hard time priming so i installed a spigot right there on the output and cracked it open and that does the trick everytime now. the air needed somewhere to go and there it is. oh yeah how to find the leak. dig up the whole line and where i put that plug in the "T" i adapted it to a air fitting and put a presure gauge there on it. i filled it up with air first to 50 lbs and then to 100. and then inspected the line and there it was right in one of my glue jobs air escaping. and i replaced that and tried it again and i had an air tight seal. that is how i will test all systems from now on i will air test it.

Wet boots this used to be out of my experience but this experience has given me just that...experience. i said this to tell u that i wish that you would give some type of advise instead of the smug comments u have given. WE are trying to learn and this is the most chalenging thing i do is read these forums and try to put instructions into words for someone to follow and be sucessful so that they don't have to suffer and try as hard as I have to accomplish the same task. This also shows leadership skills which i define as the ability to convince others to accomplish a common goal. Well thats all i got if u have any more questions Erik i will try to fill u in or i will go outside and try what u are trying on my system (my wife hates our house being the ginny pig). But i have a well with a sustained pressure inside of 75-100 lbs.

5. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Just as a side note-------

Air molecules are smaller than water molecules.........

Which means that air will get out (or in), where water won't or can't.

See ya----kerdog

6. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

wrong thread

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

This guy has started half a dozen or so threads on this pump problem. In one of them, I linked a well point tutorial, which included some methods of clearing the intake surface of a well point. The next post from pump-boy asks "How do I clear the intake screen?" - About then is where the best advice this character can receive is to get out his checkbook, and pay a professional to do the job. And still, I gave out some more useful advice (get a vacuum gauge)

It is my belief that when all is said and done, it would have made more sense for a pro to have dealt with this from day one. A pro will be aware of further reasons, yet unstated, for why this pump may be losing its prime. I also believe that it is a fair exchange for the knowledge a pro uses to earn his income, that the recipient of this knowledge provide a time plus dollars log in return, for future instructional purposes.

8. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

Wet Boots after futher review ... well let me say point taken and i apologize

9. ErikWP

ErikWP LawnSite Member

Crossman, Thanks forall your help and input. You are so right, i know I can do this myself, and I just might learn something in the process. Can't blame a man for wanting to learn. Anyway, I am going to take apart the pump, not only to check for the leak, but also to learn how it works.

10. ErikWP

ErikWP LawnSite Member

Wet Boots

Why are you on this site, if you don't wan't to give advise. I guess to you, just because someone doesn't know how to do something, they should just call a pro.
    Its because people like you, that I would rather do it myself.