Valid reason NOT to have sign on truck or trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Exact Rototilling, Nov 19, 2007.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

For the DOT #, it depends on the weight your towing. I have my new truck as both a work/semi-personal truck. I know of several townships with-in my work range that don't allow any type of commercial vehicle to be parked on your property unless it is there while labor is being performed. (With the exception of rental and moving trucks/equip.) Personally, I think a law like that is against the constitution as long as the onwer parks it in his/her own driveway.
    Its my vehicle, on my land that I pay taxes on so why should I have to listen to you about not liking it. (As long as its not an eyesore and blah blah blah.) JMO

2. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

^ there argument would probably be that the truck is owned by the business and unless the business own your home, then you cant park it there..i dont see a problem with it either, but guess they are trying to keep large dump trucks and other construction type vehicles out of site

3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I decided not to do signs mainly because I am too busy. If I had good employees and was able to keep growing, I would letter my trucks. I would probably paint them the same color too. It would look professional. But it is crazy to go after new business and advertise when I have to turn most of them away. I have enough people stop me anyway. I don't see a lot of business coming from that. Just a professional appearance to the community.

4. S.I.

S.I. LawnSite Senior Member
    from west

I don't want "them" to find me..........if "they" see lettering on the truck "they" will follow

5. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

DOT # is required for commercial vehicles with a GVW greater than 10,001 lbs

6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL!!! I'm exactly the same!! I do stupid $hit all the time and I don't want people calling me or seeing the truck in my driveway and telling my parents I'm a dummy lol.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Company name & phone number are requirements in my state if one applies pesticides. There are some out there that are unmarked....but here, that's illegal.:hammerhead: Mow & snow guys don't need any name on their trucks here, but it's nice to advertise one's business.

If homeowner associations don't allow commercial vehicles, how do their homes get built? What if they want Direct TV, new furniture, or if they move? Ordering pizza?:laugh:

If I were a customer, I would expect a truck with company logos, cuz it lends credibility. :usflag:

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is my reason.

I used to have signs, and I used to advertise in a local paper back in the '80s. Sure they got me going, but once your name is out there and the quality of your work shows, advertising is merely a write-off.

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Obviously they allow vehicles that are there to work. What they dont want is a homeowner to keep a commercial lettered vehicle at their house.

10. SlowMow

SlowMow LawnSite Member

Well, much like a couple earlier posts, what about if a friend of yours asks to borrow your truck or trailer for other reasons? Then he drives like an idiot, or even gets pulled over and people drive by and sees your vehicle pulled over by the cops, how good does that look?