Valid reason NOT to have sign on truck or trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Exact Rototilling, Nov 19, 2007.

1. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol same here........

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Im booked....all the work I can handle. I dont want somebody calling me. I get all the referrals I can handle too. Just no need to have a sign at this stage in the game.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you may know the answer to this from experience? :laugh:

4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Some areas of Dade County have signs that say overnight parking of 1 ton trucks/ comm. vehicles prohibited. Mine falls in the 1st case. County judge solved that problem not too long ago for all non-comm vehicles by ruling it illegal for the county to enforce.

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

My wife had all of our lettering taken off after she kept getting calls from different women wanting to me to come on mow their LAWNS lol....its was amazing how many calls per week I was getting from women asking me out. I have been flagged down, followed to my next stop which was scary. Guess theres somethings about a man that doesnt mind getting dirty....but I can just imagine if I had started this business when I was single.....who knows...guess thats why everything happens for a reason....We will start back lettering everything next year, but my truck will still not have anything.

6. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

That makes me want to letter every vehicle I own!

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

You would probably appreciate a situation from about 30 years ago, when I was 19.

I had a very tiny car - a Datsun F-10 two door. Was riding with a few friends.

Going the speed limit, some moron rides my bumper for like 5 blocks, so we turned a corner to get him off and let him by. He turns the same way, so we pulled to the side, parked and my friend flipped him off.

He then pulls over in front of us, walks to my window and grabs me by the neck.

(by the way, the guy is short - like 5' 10" and about 40 years old)

So I open my door and return the neck grab about 8 times harder since I swing a 32 oz. framing hammer all day and have Popeye forearms. Then my 3 friends get out and box this guy in, by standing on all 4 sides. None of us is less than 6' 3" tall.

My friends start screaming stuff like "knock the bloody crap out of this guy" and "beat him into submission" and "cripple his a$$".

I forgot to look for urine on the gravel, but his attitude sure changed "oh..I'm so sorry, you guys have a great evening"

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

- I don't want just anyone to have my phone number, mine is an exclusive niche service for a few customers. I like to think it's because I'm good, but plainly put it's because I like things to be a certain way and so I can't help most folks because I'm just very picky.
    That summarizes it, I do as much as I can NOT to attract strangers while I'm working on my paying customer's yard, their money buys my time, you can NOT afford to interrupt me.

- +$800 insurance, for an owner operator it sure is.
    > On that note I don't need to hear about my driving either since I believe in the law of gross tonnage.

- I dislike strangers coming up to me while I'm working, that puts me at their mercy, signs tend to further bring this on.
    > I feel like I've lost control, once I stop in midst of what I'm doing and turn off the machine so I can ignore my paying customer to attend to the needs of someone I've never met then I might as well bend over, what it feels like to me.

- It's corporate advertising, and the real reason corporations do this is to keep their drivers in line, because it lowers corporate insurance rates to have that on there because that ID's their drivers on the road, but don't tell nobody I said that.

- One more reason for someone to hang on me the fact that I've got commercial vehicles parked at my house in a residential zone.

I doubt they stole it, I lost more than my fair share years ago, at speeds as low as 40 mph all it takes is a cross breeze... I can't remember how many I lost but I kept wondering wth, wouldn't I hear or see it? Only once did I see one come off, it happens really fast and it's almost completely silent even with the window open I almost never heard it.
    Once they hit the road it's almost guaranteed they're done for, I turned around fast as I could and I don't think anyone hit it but it was all cracked.
    Magnetic signs are pieces of crap.

That and the weather, heat kills magnets too.

9. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto!!! I even drive my other truck to my night job at the police dept so nobody puts 2 and 2 together

10. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I actually had a woman that worked at a commercial property that got my number from my truck. She sent me several text messages wanting to "trade out" for payment for my services. LOL