Value Added Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcnservices, Jul 17, 2003.

1. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Besides our regular mowing service, I always like to do a little extra for some of my clients. For ex. - when I blow the walks and drives after mowing I will get on the porch and blow that too as I know it is sometimes hard for the older people to get out there and sweep it. It might take a little extra effort from me but no extra time is wasted doing that.
    I have'nt lost a client to any of my opposition yet. In fact, I have added a few of their's to my schedule.
    This is just one example. There are many oppurtunities to do a little extra for your client.
    What are you guys doing out there?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Always do porches and decks,just adds to a great looking lawn and property when finished.

3. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Every now and then when i have a little bit of extra time i blow off some cleints deck that and around the pool but that is a pain cause get stuff in the pool!

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I try to do things to help out a customer, especially older ones. Like bringing up the garbage cans, putting the newspaper right in front of the door, blowing off the porches and decks, etc. And I'm always willing to do something to help 'em out if they ask, like moving things around the yard, whatever. I have also really tried to go outta my way to stop and talk with my customers this year, instead of blowing them off to get the job done quicker. Some of my customers that I've even had for a while I never really stopped to chitchat or say hi whatever when I had my partner working with me, because we were in such a hurry. I have found just stopping and making small talk for 2 minutes really helps. Small but simple.

:D

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

ive tried to get others ideas on this too. most say do your job and leave. on the other hand,

I always take back trash cans and recycling bins to the garage area if they are out.

I always know each of my clients' names. If i see them, i am sure to greet them with a polite and friendly "hello mrs ...." If i cant remember their name, i sit in the truck till i remember it. hehe

While its not in the service agreement, i make it a point to pick up and remove pieces of litter that may have blown in.

Anyone else have some good ideas to gain loyalty forever?

6. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

Well...

Yesterday we moved a new desk from the garage into the house and hauled away the old desk for an elderly couple we mow. They are too old to be moving furniture around, and the lady was in a panic about how to get her desks moved, so I offered to do it.

I always blow the porch off and make sure mats are free of clippings. If I'm done and waiting for my partner, I'll pull some weeds. I have 2 ladies that I take their weeds and sticks that they collect away. If we notice a dangling limb from a tree, we'll take care of it. Always know the names of the customers and greet them.

I've read green industry forums for quite awhile now, and I noticed the posts from people complaining about customers. Dog poo, toys in yards, etc. You've all seen these posts. I don't sweat this stuff. People posting about pricing for the tiniest things. If a customer needs a little bush trimmed and it takes me 10 minutes to do, I'm not going to mess with billing for it. I will put the work on their statement with n/c under the amount. That way, they remember it's been done. It is a small way to gain their loyalty.

I know that people don't always have the time to do little freebies for customers, but I have learned that you will be paid in loyalty for taking 5 or 10 minutes to do a good deed for people. This is one of the best ways to assure they will stay with you and not choose the person that offers to mow their lawn for $10.00.

7. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

This surely pays off! Clients appreciate and respect you for being friendly with them and just spending a couple of minutes visiting with them about related issues. ie: how and when to water the lawn (for my business it's important they water the lawn and I'm going to make sure they do), etc.
    Keep these visits short and to the point - you dont want to waste your time or their money.
    Make sure however you dont BS or discuss clients with clients.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Please forgive me for sounding naive, but what does n/c stand for? Thanks.:)

9. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

n/c = No Charge

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The other day while cutting community grounds I went by an old man's house who I had been told that recently had had a stroke. As I went by I saw him out there with a push mower cutting his grass in the 90 degree heat. I rode over by him on my Dixie and said "Do you mind if I help you?" He, of course, accepted. He tried to pay me (It took 10 minutes) but I told him that I make plenty of money from his community and for him not to bother getting his wallet out. I didn't and don't expect a thing. Just giving a little to those who give me so much.