1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Value of 2000 Chevy 2500 with 26k orginal miles??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mow king, Dec 24, 2011.

1. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I came across a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 with a 350 v8 and 26k original miles. It includes a Western 7.5 straight plow. Truck runs great, has new brakes (but ABS light is on) and the owner recently fixed up the body/undercoated the frame. Only bondo I could really find on it are on the cab corner. The frame looks like it has the rust of a 10yr old plow truck under the undercoating.

What should I offer to get a good deal?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

$4500. That tranny can go at any time.

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

i would suspect the odometer has been changed because as you said it has 10 years of plow truck rust under it.

And why the fresh undercoating before selling?

What frame repairs and sheet metal damage is being hiden?

Too good to be true means it is not that good.

4. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I would walk away from any truck that had fresh undercoating. What is it hiding? No body with any knowlage would undercoat over rust.they just made the problem much worse. It will trap it under the coating and rot it out without you seeing it

5. Jbh0724

Jbh0724 LawnSite Member

RUN RUN RUN, I agree with the other posts

6. KLC LAWN

KLC LAWN LawnSite Member

All 26k miles means is that it has done a ton of sitting... So the internals of the engine have little wear, I would rather a 150k mile truck that drove often and got regular maintenance and dried out the exhaust etc. I would say $3000 and expect to throw money at it often

7. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

I've always been wary of older vehicles with really low miles. I don't think all that sitting agrees with them. They like to be run often! Just my opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the blue book? Start from there and work your way down. I would be wary of the cosmetic work that was done. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Dixie Landscape Co.

Dixie Landscape Co. LawnSite Member

Mileage does sound strange.Those are great trucks.I have one just like it except w/ a 5 speed and it's got over 200k on it w/ no problems.I would at least have a professional put it on a lift and inspect the undercarriage.

10. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'd stay away from it. Even with low miles, plowing is rough on vehicles. Id buy a truck with higher mileage over a low mile truck thats been plowed its entire life in a heartbeat.