Value of a pesticide license...woth it or not

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mike821, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about getting my pesticide license. For those who have it....is it a profitable venture. What would you say on the low side would it be worth to a solo man just starting out. I am attempting to put a business plan together to compare apples to apples. I'd like to offer a full service maintenance company(lawns fert) in addition to hardscaping.

Any thoughts.....

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have a license and I don't apply pesticides, but from what I have read here, it is very profitable. 1K per day seems easily obtainable with a spray rig.

If nothing else, having your license lets you use glyphosate to control weeds in beds and cracks in concrete and blacktop. That means less hand weeding. Also it allows you to put preen/snapshot in beds as a pre-emergent to prevent weed growth. I wish I had my license right now just for those two items.

But I'd caution that there is much more in my opinion to being an applicator than just throwing down a bag of fert. Comprehensive knowledge is necessary if you're looking to get a customer on a fert/pesticide program and produce the most desirable results. Hence when I do get my license, the amount of applying I do will be very limited unless/until I am sure of what I am doing. It's very easy to do more harm than good...

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I worked for a pesticide co. right b4 I went into this, when I talk to customers I inform them "for ants" I'm spraying the same thing the local pesticide co's are, I have had a few want me to spray there house. and I turned them down. simply because of my insurance, I'm not insured for this and it would open up a whole can of worms for me....

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Fert. and spray pricing is going right down the tubes just like mowing prices have. We are getting guys laying down stuff - basically for free, because they aren't using any product. They throw a few prills - and the results show it. The bad thing about it is, they are getting about 65 - 70% of what should be charged to make anything. I laugh at some of these new customers I get from these type companies. I tell them,...I see a 300,000 dollar house, probably another 100,000 in contents, two nice vehicles, a lawn that you have put irrigation in, and pay goo money to have it mowed, and then you pay 40 bucks per application. I then explain to them that they get what they pay for. If you want to do it right, then you have got the right guy...if you want to compromise and get a low to mediocre program, I'm not the one you want fertilizing your lawn.

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Its not just for pesticides its a chemical applicators license to apply chemicals for spraying lawns, trees, shrubs and just about anything else. You will make more money spraying than doing just about anything else so in answer to your question yes its well worth it.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Pesticides? Chemicals for spraying lawns trees and shrubs?
    Here I thought these were the same thing...:) :rolleyes:

7. BBL

BBL LawnSite Member

I can't stand seeing guys just throwing fert around like it's nothing(that stuff DOES reach peoples water supplies if recklessly thrown down, and even if you're careful, it can still happen) why anyone(customer) would want to risk their health to save a buck is beyond me. I guess it's more lack of understanding of how serious chemicals can be if done haphazardly.

Fert(Turf, Tree, or otherwise) is dangerous to play around with(feel sorry for those guys wearing shorts and nothing else, they are going to have beautiful skin disease later in life and possibly lung damage) and can cause serious personal health problems as well damaging the environment and posioning water supplies.

I think it is worth it even though I don't spray personally(I used to spray for big fert companies in the past however). I'd say go for it and once licensed if a customer says it's too expensive let them know you are trained and serious about your work and don't bash other co's but explain the dangers of cheap companies just laying the stuff down like it's topsoil and how damaging it is to the environment and possibly to their own health(don't freak them out however :) ) to hire cheap operators.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Perhaps your username isn't appropriate...

Everything you listed falls under the pesticide category.

9. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

So what I can gather from the posts is that it is worth it.....but you have to be careful as to what you are going to put down (spray). I think I would like to provide deer prevention, some fert for crab grass, starter fert, a three-four step application plan with some Lesco products would be as far as I would go. I don't know if I would get into spraying trees....there is big outfits that do so here in the NE. NJ has a good program for education and you have to be certified. I just want to maximize my income during the months that the grass is workable March-sept give or take a few weeks if it is warm. IMO it is worth just having so that if you have to kill weeds in a bed or apply a vegetation killer...with caution might I add, you can do so.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Get your facts straight!!!! You have alot of posts on here so do you work or just sit at computer all day?? Don't bash people who give advise especially when their correct. In Illinois like most states in this country require a commercial applicators license to spray chemicals of any kind. The last time I checked by just about every definition around ( pesticide ) is a chemical to control pests. A commercial applicators license not only allows you to spray pesticides but also fungicides, fertilizers and injectables for trees. Perhaps your the one who needs to get your information correct.