1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Value of very used Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bushtrimmer, Aug 3, 2005.

1. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6 year old lazer z with probably 3-4000 hours on it. Only has about 50 lbs of compression on each side of the engine and leaks about 2 quarts of oil a day. Wondering if it's worth spending 2 grand to replace engine and sell it for $3500 - $4000 or if I could get $1500 for it as it is. One of the hydros is new, everything else is in good working order except for bearings in one front wheel. It's a 60" cut with 25 hp kohler

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

2 qts a day? wow... i'll give ya $100 for it as is LOL... 2 qts a day seriously? thats past shot, too expensive to operate LOL.. thats what $4-5 a day wow... just in oil!! i'm surprised something hasn't blown...

If I were you, if the rest of the machine is decent, try to find a used motor cheap and sell it or keep running it even. If the rest of the machine is shot as well, sell as is on Ebay.. JMHO.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

15 is steep. Just check into small engine warehouse or some place like that. It can be done for cheaper.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

New ones are so nice.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Fix it up and run it or keep it for parts, it's not worth much else at this point, in my opinion, as it is...........

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

3500 to 4000 hours is a lot of hours. Even with a new engine an informed buyer would never give you $3500. If all you have replaced is one "hydro" then there are a whole lotta parts that are just itching to break down or currently need replacing and you just don't realize it.

7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Of course. They couldn't sell the kind the guy is trying to sell.

I have a question though. Does it still cut good? Or is it just the engine that's bad.

8. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

It still cuts good enough to use on 80% of our places, it was on a municipal account.
    I think I've decided to just sell it, I have enough equip sitting around I don't use, need to start clearing out the shop. I have 5600 ft sq and no room for trucks.
    I told a guy today I'd take $1200 for it.