Valve adjustment

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by weeze, Jan 17, 2012.

1. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How do you adjust the valves on a OHC engine? Is it similiar? I ask because I have a honda with the Over head Cam.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most Hondas use a locknut and screw adjustment. The screw takes a special tool, Honda part number 07708-0030400.

3. gdguth

from Midwest

What about the time belt, what needs done with it when you adjust the valves? Do you adjust it also. I don't have any knowledge of this. I have major kickback when pulling the starter rope and I have heard before that a cause of this could be valves are out of adjustment, is this true? Sorry to the OP, not trying to steal your thread, just thought of these questions when i saw a post about valves. By the way the engine is a Honda GVC160 OHC.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  4. luis@NJ

luis@NJ LawnSite Senior Member

If its running good leave it alone :sleeping:

5. gdguth

from Midwest

So you are saying even though it wants to yank my arm back when pulling the starter rope, as long as it starts, do worry about it? I don't think this is really good!! You are right it does run well besides that fact.

6. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't hurt to adjust them, just make sure the valve is fully closed before adjusting clearance...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. luis@NJ

That is not what i meant. If your recoil is yanking your arm or course you should check it out and fix it. I understood that the manual said to adjust them at xxx hours and you were at half that amount thus me saying if its running properly leave it alone. Did that explain my point better? :waving:

8. luis@NJ

You thought i was commenting about your situation lol I was commenting the the thread starters post not yours, :hammerhead:

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Don't know where you are getting yours from, but every set I have had, has gone down to .0015". I have two sets right now that go that small, and they aren't anything expensive or fancy. I agree on leaving them alone until it's time according to your owners manual, or some issue indicates they should be adjusted earlier.

Jason,
    if you have an O'reilly's, AutoZone, or NAPA anywhere near you, go to them. They'll have what you need for feeler gauges, and at a very reasonable price.

10. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Additionally I would think a manufacterer's recommended service interval would most likely be sooner and/or more frequently than truely needed so performing service before those times is highly unneccesary...
    Posted via Mobile Device