Valve adjustments for dummies….

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by john_incircuit, Nov 30, 2005.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Have a JD push mower with an Intek engine, engine number 121 602 0370 E1 and try to adjust the valves. Read up on the other posts about valve adjustment and still have a couple of questions, as I never have done this before.

Moved piston ¼ inch past TDC. The upper valve (exhaust??) has a clearance of 11 thousands, the lower one has 13 thousands. Engine has around 300 hrs.

If I remember right, both should be set to 0.005??, but I’m not clear on how to adjust them (marked up drawing from B&S attached). It looks like that the rocker is hold in place by a large stud screw (#3 on the drawing) with a hex nut on top (#2), and the hex nut on top has a set screw (#1) in the center. I’m not sure if those are the right technical term, that’s why I figured it is easier to give them numbers.

What is the right procedure for adjusting the valves?

Thanks for the help!!

John

Intek Valve_1.jpg

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hey John, Still playing with them huh. You got the piston set right as long as it's just past compression stroke and the exhaust is the top one like you said. Loosen set screw #1 and adjust nut #2 then tighten set screw #1. Although when you re-tighten #1 it will throw the adjustment out so recheck it after tightening and it may take a few times to get it right. Intake is 3 to 5, Exhaust is 5 to 7. I adjust to the lower end so you can get more time before the need to adjust again.

Take Care

3. john_incircuit

from NC

Restrorob,

thanks for the quick reply. I had the unit at the dealer, but took it back after he told me that you can not adjust the valves on an Intek engine....

Good thing we know a real expert!

Thanks --- John

4. Restrorob

You are joking right :confused: If not if I were you I'd print out the break down and my post and take it by there and give them a little lesson :dizzy: Then hand them a bill payup

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Those are a PITA to adjust. Gotta back off hex nut, tighten the hex screw a little, tighten hex nut. Slide feeler under, repeat 500 times until you are ready to go get the 12ga. and blow the engine to pieces! Really though, they take a long time to adjust IMO.

6. john_incircuit

from NC

OK, did the valve adjustments, took just a couple of minutes and was pretty easy with the great instructions I had. Factory used Loctit on the setscrews, otherwise, it was strait forward.

Wow, what a difference now!! Runs like a new engine. Starts on the first pull, without pulling the shoulder out of the socket. Even when warm, it is now easy to start.

Restrorob thank you very much, you really helped us out here!!

John

7. Restrorob

Anytime Jon :)