1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Valve adjustments question/questions.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CK82, Feb 3, 2006.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Ok I am kind of new to all of this, I have approx. '96 Great Dane 36" w/b with the old style kawi. I think its a 12hp, next a 2003 Toro Z master 52" with the 23hp. kawi. and also has a 5.5hp Briggs Intek for the bagging system. I heard the 23hp kawi. will need valve adjusting every 150 hours or so, is this true? Also do I need to do valve adjustments on the older 12hp. kawi, and the 5.5hp Briggs Intek? My father is mechanically inclined, but I'm not sure he has the time, so I think I will take them in for service soon before spring. One last question if I take the engine/engines in for service how much will this run me, or should I do it myself if possible? Please help, any comments or information would be great!!

2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

I think the Briggs Intek is .003 intake and .005exhaust. But I could be mistaken on that.

do you have model numbers for the others? We don't fool with too many Kawi's so I'd have to look it up by model #.
  3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

The 23hp is .004 - .006 intake and exhaust.
    Not sure on the 12hp.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Below is the spec. on the 12 Kaw. , You must remove the valves from the engine and grind the end of the stems to adjust clearance but be careful not to take too much off.

The Intek is .004-.006 on both intake and exhaust with the piston 1/4" down the cylinder past TDC compression stroke.

The 23 Kaw. is .003 intake and .005 exhaust at TDC And they should be checked and adjusted if needed every 300 hours.

Attached Files:

5. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Publication 99924-2045-05 from Kawasaki, lists all engines from the FH451V to the FH721V as .004 - .006 on intake and exhaust.
    23hp is a FH680V.
  6. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Would you guys suggest taking these to the dealer, or with a little assistance, do it myself? If so how much would this run. Or should I tackle this myself with a little assistance? Thanks for the help so far.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Your right riches, I didn't look for any updates just went to the service manual but since you posted this one I did take a look and found two others before the one you posted. Seems like they would update their manuals every so often, The last update on the manual was 11/2000.

Anyway thanks for pointing it out.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure on this one man, for the 12hp kawi, you can pull the valve covers and check the clearance. If it is too tight then to the dealer, because I personally would want to pull the head, drop the valves, etc just to grind a little off the stem. Of course, the dealer will charge accordingly for that one. But the intek and 23hp kawi will be relatively simple.