1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Valve Box Locks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ed2hess, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Has anybody run across a way to lock a 9" valve box? This HOA is using a lot of the Rainbird Easy Rain and they along a major street with a lot of foot traffic. It is a lot of money in that one box...

2. Drywall screws????

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Some boxes have been made with a molded-in brass nut, and a place for a bolt to be installed

4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

AMC should have the locking Ametek boxes.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The old adage, "Locks just keep honest people honest" is quite true. We haven't found a plastic box that has a good locking mechanism. We bolt some of our boxes and have gone as far as getting the type of bolts that need a special tool to remove them. People just come along with a good shovel and break the lid by forcibly prying it up.

6. PurpHaze

A lot of companies have stopped using the brass nut and switched to a nylon type nut. The bolts would eventually freeze from rust into the brass nuts.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I thought you just buried your boxes and then used to your Super Irrigation sixth sense to find them Hayes?

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Stainless steel bolts are the preferred option to go with the brass, I think. I don't worry about them too much. I'll often break out the locks on the Ametek rectangular boxes.

9. PurpHaze

You must be speaking of my witching prowess which is exquisite because of the Seminole blood running through my venous plumbing. :laugh:

Actually, valve boxes are set to grade unless they are on a sports field. In that case they are buried and measured exactly and indicated on a CAD plan. I'm still looking into getting that marker ball setup and then we'll just bury them all. :)

10. PurpHaze

Problem is that when the "lock area" of a box is broken then the retaining tab is often also broken. Then if there is an excess of water in the area the lid will float creating a safety hazard or the lid can be flipped by a mower hitting it just right. The newer double tabbed lids that we use with a tab at both ends actually work a little better than bolting the lids down. We have to use our lid pullers to pop the lids because they snap into the box rim so tightly.

We do not use the "T" shaped lids that have the lip that goes over the outer part of the box rim. We use insert lids only.