Valve diaphragm

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by T-Trim, Jul 10, 2007.

1. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

Hello

Q: Is 10 plus years of valve operation normal without replacement of the diaphragm . I hope not this commercial property I do . Is having watering at odd times, not programed in the timer. Are the valves diaphragm's at fault

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not.

Once a diaphragm fails, the valve usually sticks open.

Have you checked to see if you have multiple programs stacked on the timer?

3. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

sounds like a sneaky B and/or C program virus

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

All depends on a lot of factors but many diaphragms last longer than ten years. Others don't.

The controller is the brain... valves are the muscles of the system. They come on when the brain tells them to. Like DW says, a hung valve is usually caused by the diaphragm. Check the controller's programs.

5. Greenguy1

Greenguy1 LawnSite Member

The only diaphram's I have changed in 20 years were the old TORO hydraulic type and they were probably 15 years old. I am sure your problem is a timer issue,a bad diaphram will do one of two things, not shut off if there is a hole in it or not turn on if there is a plug in the transition port hole in the center

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I've changed out alot of Irritrol/Richdel diaphragms over the years.

7. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

Thank you for all of your guy's input. I double checked the controller for stacked start times and I've found none. So far to date I just set the timer to every 3rd day. I can't remember the model even knowing I been called out many times last week to fix the problem. I just set the every 3rd day timing just yesterday. It's a rainbird ESP with 8 zones. Most of the heads are maxi paw and t-40. I've started replacing them with my fav Hunter I-20 and PGJ. It's a slow change over

8. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Unplug the controller or disconnect the problem zone's wire for a day or 2. If the zone still comes on, then it's not the controller.

9. Maybe somebody will dispute me but valves do not randomly come on without power. The problem with this type of troubleshooting is you still have to depend on another HUMAN BEING to tell you if it has come on and they often confuse dew with a sprinkler system running.

10. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

True, the heads spraying has to be verified. If a reliable witness is available, the controller error can be eliminated.

Under a rare circumstance, hard water hammer on a "marginable" weak diaphragm *could* cause the valve to come on without power.