valve leak help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dsaldivar, Sep 13, 2003.

1. dsaldivar

dsaldivar LawnSite Member

Wondering if anyone can give me common problems related to valve's leaking. I was doing some lawn service work for one of my customer's and she asked me if I could take a look at one of valve boxes. It was full of water and I couldn't determine where the leak was. She explained that her son had recently changed the valve but since then her water bill for the month was outrageous. So we temporarily turned off the water to her irrigation system. I'm going out there today to see if I can determine the leaking problem. Will some of you more experienced irrigation professionals give me some ideas on what to check for??? Thanks in advance for your time to respond.
    Dan

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

turn off everything, bail out the water, dry everything off
    turn it back on, and see where its leaking from.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If they just changed out the valve, it could be:

-no Teflon tape
    -cross threaded
    -not tight enough
    -may have cracked manifold installing
    -may have cracked valve be tightening too much

4. dsaldivar

dsaldivar LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the reply..
    I should have waited to post this message after investigating the problem more closely. I went over to this customer's house on Saturday and the control valve boxes where dry since I turned off the main. I removed the box and cleaned the area around the valve then turned back on the main. Guess what? No valve leak. I proceeded to dig away from the valve and found the water coming from a T connection. It isn't cracked, just wasn't sealed properly on one end of the T.

Now for another question. Can I just apply cement around the joint of this T and will it hold or should I remove the T altogether and replace it???? The customer would like to save some money and if possible just apply the cement. I will probable just try it but want to know if any of you have had some experiences with doing this?

Thanks again for your time to respond.
    Danny

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

applying just cement is a temp. fix (IF it will hold) and not recommended. Best bet is to replace the tee. I've had good success with gluing wet pipe with Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue.

6. Never use the same PVC joint once glue has been applied. It may hold for a short time, but it will give due to changing diameter (inside) joint caused by chemical reaction of the glue. In essence, all PVC fitting that are slip are only a type of compression fitting not a bonding as you would assume.

Change the part out.... shoudn't have to dig to much more if you use expanding repair couplings. Oh by the way, make sure to prime all fittings.

John

7. alwayswet

alwayswet LawnSite Member

I would never use the same tee and would always replace it new. I have never posted here before I found this site browsingI work in golf course irrigation and always looking for tips.....dennis