valve locating - on the cheap

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Nov 28, 2006.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants me to find their valves. I was thinking of just wiring a push button switch in series with the wire coming from the timer and clicking it while I walked around and listened for the valve opening and closing. Has anyone ever tried this?

Dan

2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah it can be done, but you are going to be spinning a lot of wheels and wandering. And if the valves are buried and the box is filled with mud, it is going to next to impossible to hear 'em.

Check at one of the irrigation houses and see if they rent a 521 locator. It might cost $45.00 but you can find all the valves and the wire path in fairly short order. Then just tack the rental cost (plus mark-up) on to the invoice and charge for your time.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

They make a cheap little device that makes most solenoids chatter loudly.

4. Yes THEY do ;)

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Tony, I don't remember the brand we have, but its not the one that "your friend" makes.

I still want a suck tube for christmas though.

6. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

You really can't go wrong with the 521. aside from the plow, that's been my most valuable tool i've ever purchased.

the "click it" is what "THEY"RE" talking about. i've never used it, but i imagine the reliability around 50%.

try to rent one (521) if you can't, and you foresee irrigation work in the future, try to purchase one. i know they're around $600, but i've heard they can be had for cheaper on eBay.

best of luck.

pg

7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

valve locating on tha cheap
    [​IMG]

its easy to use, insert in the ground every 10" till you hit something!

8. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

Damn Koster, if your looking for a 6" valve box you're Screwed. But at $65/hr maybe I could try that

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Witch for it. Two flag wires bent into proper shape only cost about 16 cents.

10. The "krik-it" has a much more than 50% success rate.....if you know how to use it....

Suck Tubes for all my friends.......secret santa anyone?