1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Valve placement

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by happy, Jul 25, 2007.

1. happy

happy LawnSite Member

I have installed one system before and the valves were scatteres throughout the yard. That is how the system was designed. Is this done so that you have one main line in the lawn? I thought what about putting the valves next to each other in boxes near the point it exits the house or the point of connection or tap. This may sound crazy to alot, but just a question I have.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A valve manifold next to the house eliminates the possible future problem of faulty wiring out in the field.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Another 12 zone system installed in a 6" pit.:)
  4. That is such a minor problem unless the installer is an idiot. If he is an idiot the manifold is going to be a joke anyway. (I'm sure you have pics of a few of those) Stretch out the mainline. cuts piping costs and allows the valves to be centered in the zone. Makes it a heckuva lot easier to add on and renovate.
  5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I like manifolds myself and I try to put them in beds so they don't get covered up by grass.
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I run all my field wire in Type-K copper per ML specs. ;)
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

K copper? Yeeps! In poly land, the pipe is cheaper than the wire, and installs quickly enough, so a single manifold has a lot going for it.
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

My kind of sprinkler guy!:laugh: