Valve Sovers Leaking On S10

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Husky03, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 87 Chevy S10. I got it for basically free and the outside and interior is in great shape. It has almost 70,000 miles. I noticed a slight leak around the valves so I decided to get the seals replaced. After replacing the seals the valve covers are now leaking around the outside screws :angry: I cleaned the old seals off with a wire wheel and the screws are tight. What did I do wrong? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks...

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes the valve covers become warped. Remove and check to make sure they are flat. Clean the cover and clean the head surface. Do not over tighten the bolts. Snug and half a turn is about right. You may have to get another set of gaskets to make sure they wont leak.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Anytime you have the valve covers off, go ahead and put new gaskets on them, usually after you disturb the seal they never are the same any more

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

You lost me, did you have the valve seals replaced or the valve cover gaskets replaced?

Go get a new pair of valve cover gaskets and put alittle bit of silicone or gasket shalack down on the head first, just to help hold it down. Alot of times the gasket will move or its not seated right and leaks between the head and gasket. and as said above don't crank it down too much, valve covers only need 14-18 lbs of torque. Could be that the covers are warped too, if what i said wouldnt fix it then they probably are.

5. Husky03

I replaced the valve cover gaskets. A friend of mine put them back on so I don't know if they were overtightened or not. I guess I will have to try putting some silicone on the gasket before putting the cover on. This sucks because these thing are real hard to get off with all the stuff in the way. If the covers are warped about how much will they cost?

Thanks...

6. kc2006

I'm taking it that its a v6 since you said gasketS. could get them easily at a junk yard if you need to. odds are that its not warped unless he really tightend them bad. Probably the gaskets just shifted.

7. Husky03

Yes it is a V6. I took the covers off today and reseated the gaskets and aligned them perfectly. I tightened the covers back on nice and snug and they do not seam to leak anymore. I cleaned the engine off real well with degreaser to check for leaks and they seem to be fine now. Now I just can't figure out where the other oil leak is coming from. It isn't the oil pan gasket, but it's coming from somewhere around the bottom. ;) Any ideas, I really don't know much about these kind of things. Thanks for the help :)

8. kc2006

Rear main seal, timing chain cover those are two lower seals that could leak.

Timing chain cover wouldn't be really hard but rear main would require pulling the engine, i'm not sure how the newer engines are, probably a one piece rear seal.

9. Husky03

When I get a chance(raining now)I will go out and try to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. I appreciate the help. I will probably have more questions when I get a chance to take a look. :)

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My parents had an 85 S10 2.5 4 cyl for their delivery truck. When they sold the business the truck went with it in 2000. It only had 60k miles on it and leaked like a *****. Both of the above items leaked and were fixed a number of times but began to leak again. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep adding oil! It's a work truck isn't it!?! Aren't they supposed to leak? LOL