Valve Trouble

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dnryan, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dnryan

Dnryan LawnSite Member

Ok so just redid a 7 valve system that had them all crammed into one box. Yes 7, rainbird 100PEB in one 20" valve box. anyways, split them up into two boxes, wired it all up and replaced two of the valves that were having issues. The homeowner did not want to spend the money for another 5 valves so we reused the others. Well, got everything connected, tested the system manually and then with the controller and everything seemed fine. Well i get a call from them yesterday and the system is stuck on. I get over there and one solenoid is making the clicking sound constantly so i shut the controller off. i figure i had a few extra solenoids on the truck so i just swapped it out and tested it again. No problems, no clicking, turned on and off without any issues. Well now they call me again at 11pm saying its stuck on again. Any ideas what this could be? Im stumped and thinking it might be with the wiring? idk, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds more like a controller issue. If it is making continuous clicking noises, it is getting electricity. The solenoid won't "click" without current getting to it. Sometimes a controller fails and sends a signal all the time. I have a couple controllers that I have to leave an empty terminal rather than replace the controller.
  3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Could be a number of things

More then likely there is debris in the valves from pvc shavings... excess glue.. or debris getting inside the piping from careless installation.
    Take the valve apart and flush.. inspect the diaphram for damage.. Our policy is to always replace but that's up to you..

The controller could be malfunction too because you are hearing clicking? ... but since this wasn't the issue prior to you fixing it more then likely it's workmanship error.
  4. Dnryan

Dnryan LawnSite Member

yea it was not "clicking" before i disassembled the old manifold. Now it is. I will try cleaning the valve out and flushing it to see if anything comes out. I think i will also use a different terminal as well. Appreciate the feedback.
  5. JayinMI

JayinMI LawnSite Member

I had this problem this year with an Irritrol controller. Danamac is correct, it was a controller problem. Instead of just using another terminal I replaced the controller. When I would take the wire off the terminal in the controller the valve would shut off. To be safe because the valve was old, I took the wire off another terminal and put it on that one and that valve stayed on. So I would check the controller.
  6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with mitchgo, more likely debris in the valve or damage to the diaphragm from debris. If a controller fails, it's not likely to be to a single pole on the wiring block.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Then how do you explain the clicking? To me, at least from the OP's description, it is making a clicking noise just as if the controller were turning it on and off. The plunger in the solenoid makes noise (usually) when it is activated on and off. As I said, I have a few controllers in service where just one terminal is putting out juice all the time, even with the controller in the OFF position. The other zones are fine.
    this particular controller could easily be doing a continuous rapid fire of electricity on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off.......

I'm not saying it can't be in the valve, but how would one explain the clicking noise.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

solenoid weevils :)
  9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

What controller is being used?
  10. I agree with Dana the clicking is a controller issue but it could be something else. If the problem is occuring about the same time every night then sherlocking may be necessary.
    Posted via Mobile Device