Valve Wiring Issue

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Paris Landscaping Company, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Paris Landscaping Company

Paris Landscaping Company LawnSite Member

Hey fellas i have 4 valves manifolded about 200 ft from the controller. None of them are working. I know its not the common because the valves on down the line are coming on fine. Do i have any other options other than running complete new wire to those 4 valves?

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

May be not the common (per se) but the connection to the common in the box?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

have you done electrical testing on the wiring?

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

perform a short to earth measurement on the common and the valve wires. never rule out a common wire as it could be T-d in the field. :)

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Words to live by. I've gone on calls of the same m.o. as the threadster and found a splice in a pit box, wiggled it, and the valves came on. Gosh, am I good! :cool2:

6. Paris Landscaping Company

Paris Landscaping Company LawnSite Member

Yea i have done some testing and i have 26V at the controller and all other valves except for these for 4 right in the middle of the yard. No clue where to go with this one. I dont wanna run those wires thru the yard but who knows i might have to. The electrical is terrible on this thing. Its only 3 years old and already has major problems the guy did water proof any connections.

7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Trace backwards from the valve box to find your wire break

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Second'd..

9. How would he TDR this Jim?

10. Inspired

Inspired LawnSite Senior Member

Running new wire is for pussies. :waving:

Is the wire bundle a multi-conductor cable or a bunch of single wires?

I'll bet the common is "T"-d near the valves that don't work, or maybe in one of the boxes. 4 valves not working in one area sounds like a "common" problem to me.

Without a TDR and assuming you have ohm-d each station and have no continuity, I would disconnect the control wires at the manifold area (make sure you mark them with the station numbers first) and then using a jumper, ohm them all two at a time and identify the wire(s) with faults / bad connection(s).

Then starting at the valve box, hook the tracer (521) up to the faulted wire(s) and trace back toward the controller.