Valvebox design question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by F6Hawk, Jun 20, 2005.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

I have decided to go with one valve box in the front, and two boxes in the back of my yard.

The front will have a 1" brass shut-off ball valve, 2 DVF-100s, and I would like put a hose bib in there, to minimize the number of boxes in the yard. Will it be possible to do this given a 12X12X17" box? If so, what do you recommend to make the hose bib? Ball valve, regular twist-type bib, etc, and how to shore it up so it is strong enough to not break?

In the back, I plan on having 2 boxes as above, one with the shutoff & 2 valves, one with 3 valves. If not possible to put the bib in one of these two boxes, I can add a third, smaller valve box for the bib. It's jsut that I don't want any more boxes in the front yard for aesthetics.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

F6

2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey F6-------

How's it goin'?

Go to Rainbird web-site.......type in 'quick coupler kit', in the search field. Look at what they offer, or use their idea, and build your own...?

See ya---kerdog

3. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Yeah, I saw those, and while I like the idea, I wonder what kind of sound it will make as I pull on the hose from around the corner... and *SNAP* goes that plastic.

Has anyone used them? Can vouch for/against their strength/durability?

Thanks,
    F6

4. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey F6-----

Yeah.....I think you "would" have to be careful with a quick-coupler. I haven't seen/used one, so......?

Could plan ahead, locate it closer to where you need it. (Could use a longer hose!) See ya--

kerdog

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Good choice on the DVF's.

I would use two valve boxes in the front yard. One with a shutoff and the hose bib, and the other with the DVF's.

While its possible to cram all of that stuff into one box, its going to make it a pain for any future work.

6. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Jon, I understand and agree totally with you, but as it is, there are already two boxes there for the water meters. This will make 4 boxes in 2800 sq ft, not my idea of a pretty yard. :(

I know, I am prolly just whining, but it has taken me 2 years to go from the weed bed I purchased to a nice front yard. This system will be the crowning touch.

So how do you go about constructing the hose bib? I am coming into the box w/1" class200, but am thinking Sch40 inside might make for sturdier construction. What else can be done to make it tough? I was thinking to use a brass ball valve, and perhaps clamp it on either end to the side of the box, top of handle facing in. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the input!
    Dave

7. Dirty Water

I use FORD brass ball valves, I couldn't find a pic but this one is similar:

[​IMG]

I'd put a male adapter on the inlet side of it to go from your PVC:

[​IMG]

Inbetween the ball valve, I'd use a sch 80 or brass nipple (3" or so) and then put a tee and a brass hosebib on, and then another male adapter.

[​IMG]

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Aww, c'mon you weenies! You could put all that stuff within a single standard rectangular valve box, including all the zone valves, if you tried hard enough. Underground hose bibs? Stoopid idea. You almost always want to exit the house above grade, or at least you want to in the land of basements and indoor water meters and no double check valve assemblies allowed.

Quick-coupler valves are an older idea, and hardly useful on a lawn of under an acre in size. With plastic fittings, you'd use threaded schedule 40 street ells for some swing joint flexibility.

9. Dirty Water

But why, its a lot harder to work on something ten years down the road if its packed in that tight.

In my land, every meter is on the street, and only DC's are used....The underground hosebib makes an excellent winterization valve.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One could still stick a system shutoff valve, six zone valves, and a blowout as well, into a single standard valve box, and still have room to do repairs. Full depth boxes only, please.

I am vaguely jealous of the double check valve assembly territories (while they last) since I remember the day.