Valves and sprinkler heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by nymustang50, May 30, 2007.

1. nymustang50

nymustang50 LawnSite Member

I'm doing my irrigation system over since I made my lawn bigger. I have done irrigation systems before. So I'm not new to it. I just want to get some pro's ideas on what brand of valves and sprinkler heads I should use. I personally like hunter sprinkle heads but how are there valves compared to orbit or toro or rain bird. Are hunter sprinkler heads good as well. Or should I go with orbit or toro or rain bird. Looking to do this all this weekend. So would like responses asap. Also if this topic is in the wrong area can a administrator move it into the right section of these forums. Also since I'm not a pro and I don't have any software or expert knowledge is there any free things that like you can put in how big you whole lawn is and it will show you what you need and where to install everything and stuff for the best irrigation?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Very true. You can lead a monkey to the banana but you can't make him eat it. :)

You can also go to the Hunter/Rainbird/Toro sites and they have homeowner design steps you can follow.
  4. nymustang50

This is my setup right now. Just took the picture like 5 min ago. It was setup like this a long time ago before I bought the house with in lines facing that way I don't know if its right or not but thats how I based my old one on the one thats there. But now I want to do it the rite way. Should I put in a box in the ground then put the inline there and do I need back flow valves? Or should I just set it up how it is and with no back flow but im going to build a cover over the new one because I don't want anyone or even the sun rotting it. Or should I go with anti siphon ones.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what you get for 1500$ a zone!
  6. nymustang50

So should I leave it set up like that or should I put them in the ground or does it not matter??
  7. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

As one DIY'er to another, you got some homework to do before you start asking questions here. To say "I've done this before..." and then post the picture of the mess you've got now is an affront to the guys that hang out here and freely share what they know with people who ask the right questions. Yours are not the right questions.

Start with the Hunter DIY guide that you can download from their site. It should be your bible for the next few days. The previously suggested online tutorial is good, too. Forget this weekend. You need to spend this weekend reading and researching. You can spend next weekend building.

These guys will share more than is good for them, if you come in prepared. Right now, you're just asking to get flamed.
  8. Than you Jeff. Be sure and Read Jeff's post on going into supply houses. it is must reading for all DIYers.
  9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

FM, Since you're feeling all warm and fuzzy toward me at the moment, would you take a look at the irrigation/turf management question I posted in the Homeowner's Forum? I didn't post it here, since it was only partially about irrigation.

Sorry for the hijack, Mustang. But you shouldn't be reading should be at Hunter's site.
  10. Okay I did. Can't promise you that everybody is going to agree with me.