Valves in Florida

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MEXANDME, Oct 22, 2011.

1. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

Was in Florida for a couple of days and noticed that the irrigation valves are all above ground at the condo complex that I was at. Is that code in Florida? If so, is it just at commercial properties or at all properties including residential single family homes? Also, they were painted purple for non-potable.

Thanks,

Mex

2. And you didn't take a pic with your phone? Shame on you. My guess is they are AVB electric valves. Those need to be installed above ground but seeing as how this is FL no telling.

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I'll bet he's looking at a continually pressurized system with an electric master valve controlling a hydro indexing valve. These would have to be installed at least 12" above grade with a PVB (also 12" above grade) between the service line & the master valve. The insanity in PBC is that they put PVB's on "brown" water as well.

Most commercial installation have the electric valves in the ground, at least in my neck of the woods, with some exceptions where some hack placed the valve manifold above ground.

Have pictures if you'd like them.

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Florida has some weird systems. They use those Fimco indexing valves. My sister bought a winter home there and wanted me to upgrade the system. A quick check said deal with it or spend a few grand doing it right.:hammerhead:

5. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

These were just plain old 1" Irritrol 205S valves. The valves were about 15" above ground, the zone wires just came up directly out of the ground, and spliced to the solenoid wires with small King connectors.

Next trip I'll get some pics.

6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

OK, that's more like California irrigation. ASV'S :hammerhead:

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Here are some good ASV photos for ya.

asv1.jpg

asv2.jpg

asv4.jpg

asv5.jpg

asv3b.jpg

8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Where in Florida? How old was the condo? How many valves per unit? What kind of controller?

Did it look anything like these (previously posted in the hall of shame)?

Hydro05.JPG

Hydro04.JPG

Hydro03.JPG

Hydro02.JPG

Hydro01.JPG

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

:::::Shields eyes in horror::::::dizzy:

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

::::::::ditto-sans one::::::::::laugh: