Valves in Florida

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MEXANDME, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Anything can fail 9 seconds from functioning properly. As a matter of fact everything that ever failed on this planet was fine just 9 seconds earlier. Hiroshima was fine 9 seconds before the A-bomb hit.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When an RPZ fails, the polluted water dumps from the relief valve. Vacuum breakers fail when gravity fails. There's a reason they are rated for high-hazard service.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard that line a million times and have never seen it happen after it was properly serviced and given a 2 minute test for each check.

watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=907

4. Then the argument is whether residential irrigation is high or low hazard. I'm ambivalent myself. If they have any kind of ejector added then it is definitely high hazard. Personally I think the city should require a high hazard device installed with the meter that protects against the whole house.

5. Ditto

The problem with that attitude is that it creates a gazillion what if regulations that further make us uncompetitive as a business. Red lights at intersections? yes. Red lights every 100'? Forget it.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'm certainly not anti-RP, should a swimming pool or well be on the supply, RP is the only way to go.

7. Wet_Boots

Tell you what, chuckles. You get on the phone with Lloyds of London and formulate insurance coverage for backflow. Since you believe it is a low hazard, a very small sum should buy a contractor coverage in the eight-figure range.

Let us know how it goes.

8. Chuckles? Oldie but a goodie.

excessive liberal what if regulations + class action liberal lawyers = non competitive country with high unemployment and massive debt.

9. Wet_Boots

Come on, those so-called "events" never happen, right? Work out the odds and line up the backing money, and cash in big.

Or not.

10. Matt Holliday had to go on the DL because a moth flew into his ear and had to be removed by a Doctor. What are the odds of that? Sh-t happens. Like I said HH for a whole house at the meter. It would be very easy to regulate irrigation whereas only 1% of the country could afford one and lead to a bunch of potable water threatening homeowner jobs.