Valves next to hose bibs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Marin Lawn Care, Jun 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Marin Lawn Care

Marin Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    One thing I'm noticing is lots of homes have their valves sticking up out of the ground mostly in the front of the house. I'm a bit green here but I'm wondering if this is laziness or is there a technical reason for it? Looks terrible. Is there a reason why valves and hose bibs are so close together?

Best,
    Mike

2. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

Don't see a lot of above ground valves here. As to your second question, I know here it is quite common that the front hose bib on a house often times represents where the main water supply is coming in from the road. For example, if you go in the garage you will often see the main water supply line coming in and then going up to that first hose bib. The importance being that this is pretty much a dead giveaway as to where the main water supply is coming into the house (unregulated) without having to tap out at the street and have all your assembly there. This doesn't apply to hose bibs everywhere on the house because once it gets past that port of entry it is often times regulated somewhere and then goes to other parts of the house and other bibs.

3. I guess it is the easiest way to meet code. I don't think the way we did it in TX would meet code where you are. DCVAs inground with a jumbo box and valves scattered throughout the yard in 6" boxes. Sure made for a much better looking system.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sprinkler Valves Are Beautiful and don't you forget it :hammerhead:

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Never seen a install that looked worth a tinker's damn.

6. Marin Lawn Care

Thanks, this makes sense.

Mike

7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like ASV's

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

SOP (standard operating procedure) in the central valley dude. Probably 80% or more of your residential irrigation systems will be ASV's run off either the main coming into the front of the house, or a hose bibb feed anywhere else.

9. Marin Lawn Care

10. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Anti Siphon Valve