VAM reference, I was wrong

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

All approximately 150 species of AMF belong to the order Glomales which consists of two suborders (MORTON & BENNY 1990; WALKER & TRAPPE, 1993). They are apparently asexual organisms and probably of very ancient origin (350-460 million years).
    One, the Glomineae with the families Glomaceae (genera: Glomus and Sclerocystis) and Acaulosporaceae (genera: Acaulospora and Entrophospora), comprises fungi that form usually inter- and intraradical vesicles as storage compartments for lipids. Vesicles can also function as spores in some Glomus species (BRUNDRETT et al., 1996). Before the taxonomic revision of the Glomales by MORTON and BENNY (1990) the term “vesicular arbuscular mycorrhiza (VAM) fungi“ was therefore generally used. The other suborder Gigasporineae which consists of the two genera Gigaspora and Scutellospora do not form any vesicle but extraradical auxiliary cells of unknown function. Hence, it is nowadays more convenient to use “arbuscular mycorrhiza fungi (AMF)“ as is done in the work presented. The, formally correct, subdivision of the two suborders of the Glomales into VAMF (Glomineae) and AMF (Gigasporineae) causes unnecessary confusion because all VAMF are AMF, but not vice versa. Conservative authors point out that the second suborder covers only about 20 % of the Glomales and express doubts about the general taxonomic qualities of the functional feature arbuscules (SMITH & READ, 1997). Furthermore, they regard VAM as a well introduced expression.

I stand corrected

2. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

I knew VAM is considered an out of date expression but usually don't bring it up.

Like when people call archaea a bacterium, I just bite my tongue or lip or whatever it is.

I have a great review paper in pdf about the history of mycorrhizal research. I can't remember if it was given to me privately so I hesitate to post it. I don't seem to have you in my address book so if you drop me an email through my website I'll send you a copy.

Tim

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That's it ..... your busted.

cat_being_gun_down_2.jpg