Van or Utility Body

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tony Clifton, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Van or utility body for service techs? Which is preferred and why? I am trying to decide between getting an extended wheel base Chevy or GMC 2500-3500 van or a utility body on a 2500 truck. The person using the van will mostly be doing service calls for irrigation, installing lighting, and maybe helping out on some of the larger installs that we do. Here is the catch, this person will also be installing water features...this is where I see the utility body having an advantage with its open bed.

2. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Utility body all the way.All of our truck have utility body's on them. On our service truck's we installed draw's in the body. They run the whole lenght of the bed, there great for holding pvc fitting and they free up the box's for other material. I'll see if I can get a few pic.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One 'hidden' advantage of a utility body over a van, is that the PVC cements and solvents are not in the same airspace as the passengers, which is something OSHA is reputed to frown upon.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We have 4 trucks with utility bodies and one cube van (with outside cabinets as well).

Overall I prefer the utility body truck.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I've worked with guys that like a van. I prefer the utility body, even if I'm driving a Van right now. Make sure you get a complete tow package and hitch either way you go. Only real benefit I ever saw to a Van was it locks up a lot easier.

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a utility body. It sucks climing into a back of a van just to get a fitting out.

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

If you lived in an area that gets a good amount of snow in the winter then a 4x4 utility body with a snowplow package (and sander in the bed) would give you income in the cold season.

8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

the best thing about a utility body: it's way more quiet than a van.

pg

9. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input, I was leaning toward a utility body, however I am thinking about buying used, and used vans are way more plentiful than utility bodies.

10. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Also consider the "Sprinter" type vehicles.