Van vs truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bruces, Aug 6, 2001.

1. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

:confused:

I am going to be purchasing a different vehicle to tow my equipment trailer for next season. I am considering a cargo van instead of a truck. I am thinking that I can install racks inside the van for trimmers, edgers, etc., they'll be secure, etc.

Does anyone use a van instead of a truck? How does it work for you?

Ideas, opinions, etc. will be appreciated.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

someone posted a pic of their cargo van on here the other day. it had a picture of a walker on the side. i use a truck, but i am starting to see a lot of cargo vans show up. they all seem to put the landscape gate on the back and put all the racks in. its a good secure way to store and haul equipment.

3. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

4. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen many applicator companies using vans. Also they work well for hauling plants and materials that could be spoiled by too much wind or bad weather.

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

we wouldn't use vans since we plow

also makes for a less than ideal personal vehicle, but i do see many companies using cubes.

6. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I have operated almost every setup. Started out working just with a p/u. Went to a 14' utility trailer. Next used a cargo van for a while and now I have a 14' Cube. By far the Cube suits me the best. You never have to hitch and unhitch. Your equipment is always secure, tax deduction is much simpler, the equipment is kept out of the weather (this is actually a real bonus), you can haul a huge amount of stuff, and you have a storage facility on wheels. I have every tool I could ever need in the truck. I'll never go back to a utility trailer.

7. bruces

Actually, what I have been considering is a cargo van for trimmers, blowers, tools, gas cans, etc. and an open trailer for my mowers, rather than an enclosed truck / cube van.

8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If your going to get an cargo van , why would you need a trailer then?

9. bruces

I don't think a van would be large enough to haul equipment I have and anticipate having (52" Toro ZTR , 48" or 36" walk behind, perhaps 21" trim mower. I haven't really looked and measured yet, but I didn't think a regular 3/4 ton van would handle everything without a trailer.

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

The van idea is a good one, but the capacity and size is too small to fit any mowers in. All your support tools and equipment would be perfect, but still have to have a trailer. I like the supertruck but haven't had time to price one yet. Anyone have guess as to the cost? Something in the 14-16' Size. Also with the cube you can drive, park, and turn around much easier than with pulling that dang tralier. Everything is out of sight, and less likely to be stolen, and out of the weather too. I do like the thought of no loading and unloading. Sounds to good to be true, but I know it does come with a price!