Vanair compressor opines?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Aug 20, 2010.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a Vanair Viper rotary screw air compressor for shop use and blowouts.

Has anyone used one of these units? Opines of all kinds are welcome.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd want a few more CFM's, but they look nice!
  3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

my friend uses one for blow outs. Its ok but he has to fill the gas tank a lot and on the big places it takes a while to blow out. the other thing is that if its in the back of the truck there is not much room for anything else. I think they cost about $7000 but for $4000 more you can get a new tow behind.
  4. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I was using a 19 cfm unit so this would be a big change. I am looking to spend $5k for a new one. 80 CFM a 100 psi.

Just got an email that I bought it online for $4970.00

Hope it works out.

Thanks for the opines.

5. rgianne896

rgianne896 LawnSite Member

How is your Vanir Viper 80 working out for you, and if you don't mind my asking, where were you able to purchase it for $4970?

Have not heard of the way vanair. We use a kaesar mobilair 12. 40 cfm compressor does the job for us . Would like the 70 cfm.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Going from 19 cfm to 80 cfm will feel like getting off a bike with training wheels onto a Harley Davidson .
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

And going to a 125 or better will get you in and out faster than a Ferrari. :)
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 30 cfm gas , an 80 cfm gas , three 100cfm diesel , and a 125 cfm diesel . The 30 cfm is basically a back up machine . The 80 cfm sucks the gas but works rather well it can be pulled by a 4 cyl toyota at the end of the day it equals out with good mileage.
    I really cant see that much of a difference between the 100s and the 125 on the systems with 1 inch mains. On the commercial its noticable . I do have a small 9 hole golf course I use 3 machines at once just to speed things up . The diesels are much more fuel efficent . I did borrow a 185 the only thing I didnt like was it was a bit heavy and on wet days got a bit squirrly and it was more than i needed 98% of the time
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Were I to buy an all-around compressor, that would be my choice. :clapping: The point-of-injection is the big deal with smaller compressors on large sites, I used to rent a 185 for a mega and still had trouble ( too much time). Had the grounds crew give me a couple other points-of-connection where I could use gravity FOR ME and the winterize went 2 hours faster.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011