Vandalism

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NCSULandscaper, May 23, 2003.

1. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Been raining here all day so i went to look at some maintenance jobs i had completed a few days before. Well when i got to one house all the mulch i had put down and a few of the annual beds i had constructed had been ruined by dogs. Has anyone else had dogs come through and tear up their work or am i just having bad luck?

2. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 LawnSite Member

Are these the costumers dogs?
    I do several properties that have dogs, and all the costumers are aware up front that there will be no guarantee because of the dogs. Thats the nature of the beast:D

Most people understand this.

3. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

I've had a lot of squirrels do digging, throwing mulch all over the edge of the beds. I try to make it look OK each time I mow, but they do a lot of damage too. Glad their not dogs though.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

No the customer has no dogs. Just stray dogs that roam the neighborhood which means ill have to take it out of my pocket to repair.

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it should be up to the customer to reasonably protect his/her own property. If the job was done right when you left, how can you feel that you are responsible for repairing major damage....I understand the customer service issue, and I would try to work with the customer all that I could, but to pay for repairs out of your own pocket.....Thats a litle rough.

Good luck.

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

No reasonable person would expect you to warranty your work for damage by stray dogs.
    Crawdad

7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to keep repairing the landscape every time the dogs come back. NO WAY. We put in a retaining wall (small one) and made a walking path on top complete with stepping stones and decor gravels. Customers choice for material as we suggested a paver walkway because of the 4 large dogs. We warned them that we didn't think the material choice was good cuz of the muts. Job looked great when we finished and we made the customer sign a statement of completion that it was done to specs and to their liking. Went back 4 days later to cut and the dogs dug up the gravel all the way down the path and even tipped over some of the stepping stones. Then they came out as we were finishing and said "sure wished we had listened to you, It would have saved us 1600 bucks. We didn't think you knew what you were talking about with the dogs." Needless to say it made me sick to see it that way all torn up, but in the light of thing we are getting paid to do it again the right way. And as in the other post THE CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, but sometimes you have to let them make wrong choices before they beleive in you.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think you should have to repair damage done to your work by dogs. Any customer who expects that is unreasonable, I think.

9. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Put a bowl of prestone anti-freeze out there.

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Out of your pocket? Was it your fault?