vangaurd 18 thrown rods?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn guy, May 17, 2008.

1. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

My exmark started vibrating and making noise, When I engaged the blades it hardly had enough power to keep running then it shut off.When I tried to restart the engine the engine turned but did not even try to start. I pulled the valve covers and I had valve movement. I removed the plugs and looked at piston tops as I tried to start engine. No Movement! I took a screw driver and was able to push piston in and tried to restart. It made a little noise as if crank was hitting rod I then did the same to the other side and got the same result. I then tried it again and now the engine is bound and will not turn at all. Did I throw 2 rods? Or break the crank shaft? Any ideas of what it is and what it may cost?
    Thanks

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'd get a new motor.

Unfortunatly I hate the vanguard motors. Briggs went to pot for a while and I'm not sure if they've got their crap together again or not.

You could rebuild it, but it sounds like you have severe damage. I wouldn't be surprised if you threw something against the motor casing and put a few hairline cracks in it. So, if you try to rebuild it, you could run into more problems down the road. If you just dropped a valve, or ruined a piston, I'd go with the rebuild. Unfortunatly it sounds like you have catastrophic failure.

3. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

How difficult is it to replace the engine? is it just a question of removing the mounting nuts and transferring the pulley's? will I need special tools?

4. White Gardens

Engines are a cake. No Special tools required. Usually just the pully, wireing harness, fuel line, and four bolts holding it in place. Normally they're light enough to pull out by hand or with one other person.

5. White Gardens

I meant to tell you too, the only special tool you might want to think about is an air/impact wrench. It makes it easier to get the nut off the pully, as you don't have to bind the shaft to loosen it. It also comes in handy on blades and spindles.

6. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Do I have to use the same brand or size of engine? If I use a bigger engine what would the result be? Better? Same? would engine4less.com be a good place to purchase a replacement

7. White Gardens

Bigger equals more power of course. You might end up going through more belts but I don't think there is any other issues.

You can use any engine you want. The only issue you might have is the wiring harness, but most use the same set-up. If anything, you might have to disconect the old harness off the shot motor and wire it into the new one.

If you get a different brand, make sure the output shaft size/length is the same for your pully. Also check out the mounting holes, and their position. Generally though everything is standard and you shouldn't have much of a problem with finding the right one, but do make sure. Get the specs from briggs and just use the same numbers to narrow down your search.

You could also find out what other motors they used on your mower and go that route.