Vanguard 16 hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bligh61, Oct 26, 2005.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

How do I get the carb off this machine????

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You have got to remove the intake manifold to get to the carb. mount screws from the bottom, A little bit of a pain thats why I suggested just removing the top and spray and blow it out good.

3. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

restorob thanks, thats what I thought. Figured there might be an easier way. the engine is on a loader frame which is in the way also. I'll try yor idea. Should i blow it out first, then start it and spray it? thanks for the reply

4. Restrorob

NO, Thats not what I ment. You need to remove the top half of the carb. from the bottom half while it's still mounted to the intake manifold. Soak the fuel out of the bottom half with a clean rag then take the can of carb. & choke cleaner and install the little straw on the nozzle and spray all the small ports and passages you see, Do the same with the top half then blow both halfs out with compressed air then reassemble. There is a good chance you will need to replace the gasket between these two halfs also.

5. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

How do I take off the top half of the carb??? thanks for the replys

6. Restrorob

You must remove the air filter assembly and base, If you have a fuel tank mounted on the top of yours it must be removed also. Once you have the carb. where it can be seen remove the screws holding the top on and tap the top edge with a screwdriver handle to pop the gasket loose. If the gasket sticks half to the top and half to the bottom use a pocket knife slid between the two to pop it loose. Once the top is off clean as discribed. Also if your carb. has a fuel cut-off solenoid screwed in the lower half of the carb. unplug the wire and screw it out and spray through that opening also and blow it out.
    Below is a picture of your carb.
    Good Luck

convert Vangaurd Carb. Breakdown.png