Vanguard 31hp V-Twin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Oct 17, 2003.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Things are starting to get exciting in the 30 hp class. While I'm no big B&S fan, this new Vanguard engine is really catching my intrest.

[​IMG]

31 HP Specifications
    Displacement: 54 cu. in. (895cc)
    Horsepower: 31HP (gross) @ 3600 RPM
    Torque: 48 ft-lbs.
    Cylinder: Cast Iron Sleeves
    Bearing Type: Replaceable steel/alum (withstand 500 lbs. inward thrust)
    Starter: Solenoid Shift Starter
    Crankshaft: 1 1/8” dia. w/ 1/4” Keyway and 4” Extension; up to 1 7/16” dia. and 4.5” Extension
    Oil Pressure Switch: Available
    Air Cleaner: 5” Centrifugal multi-stage
    Muffler: 5” round; Three-position outlet; Guard
    Carburetor: Internal vent; Float feed; Two-barrel; Fixed main jet; Adjustable idle; Afterfire solenoid; High-altitude provisions
    Alternator: 20 Amp @ 3600 RPM; optional 20/50 Amp Alternator
    Lubrication: Full Pressure
    Emissions: Meets CARB/EPA regulations
    Weight: 122 lbs.

They will have to overcome the B&S reputation, but time will tell.

What are you guys' feelings on this?

2. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think B&S has made a good effort with the Vangaurd line to complete with the other good engine manufactors. My mechanic said he has seen no bad bulletins or recalls on the vangaurd line engines. It may take some time but I think B&S will regain a good reputation with time with this line.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ive had good luck with the B&S.
    John

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Just as soon as Kohler starts making that engine I'll consider it.

5. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

im not sure if its the same engine but SCAG has been running the Briggs/Daihatsu 31hp gas and turbo diesel engines for many years. both the gas and turbo diesel have the same HP rating but the TD pulls way ahead in the torque category 54.6 vs. 51.6. i know a few LCOs running Sabre Tooth Tigers w/ both the gas and TD and they love them. only downside to these powerplants is the initial cost. they usually come on machines in the 12k+ range.

FWIW, to my knowledge, the closest LC engine would be the 29hp DFI Kaw, 29hp, 44.3 ft. lbs. but, IMO, the Kaw isnt in the same category as the Briggs/Daihatsu gas or TD.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The inline 3 cyl Daihatsu gas and diesel that you speak of are not the above pictured engine.

The 3cyl Daihatsu is available from 16.5 to 34hp in both gas, diesel, and turbo diesel. They also have heavy cast Iron blocks and weigh twice as much as an air cooled Kohler.

I would really like to start seeing torque peaks that are in our operating range. All too often I see torque peaks in the 22-2500 rpm range. I'd like to see the peak at 3200 and stay flat up till 3800. This way when it starts bogging, it'll be in its torque/power band.

7. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the heads up! if i had paid more attention to the specs/picture you posted instead of (31hp B&S), i would have realized right away.

thanks again.

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Tommy, do you have any idea of which manufacturers will be using this engine? I sure hope this wasnt a collaberation with Generic...lol

9. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Huge hurdle.

I cringe when I hear "It only comes with a Briggs"

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Briggs is trying several little new things here and there with the V-Twin gas engines. Everybody wants a piece of the pie.