Vanguard Diesel

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ax Man, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I am shopping for a mower, and considdering a Gravely with the Diahatsu diesel. But before I drop better than 10 grand, I want to know if they are a good design. Anyone out there have any experience with the Briggs Diesel?
  2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We have about 5 units with the turbo charged B&S diesel. They've been good motors with one exeception. Connecting rods! One threw rod at about 400hrs, covered under warranty for parts, not labor. Just had another go a few months back, out of warranty, but B&S is going to cover parts for us.
    Seems they have a small problem with the connecting rods in the turboed engines. They are aware of problem, but have not redesigned them yet. Non-turbo engines do not have this problem.
    Connecting rod that goes has been a random thing. First time was number one cylinder, last time was number 3 cylinder. With this second engine to take a dump, we been considering switching the units we buy. However, I will admit it is quite impressive that both units kept mowing until operator noticed that the engine was throwing oil all over the place. Each rod that went punched a hole in the block.
  3. Ax Man

Anyone else?
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got the Gravely 272z with the Diahatsu Turbo Diesel engine. 480 hours and no real major problems (knock on wood after hearing about the connecting rods). I had air in the fuel line once , and I just loosened the last injector to bleed it out. I use Mobile 1 oil, and change the oil & filter every 100 hours. The oil drain plug is in a bad location. It will run out on top of the mule belts. I get a soda bottle & cut it in half and cover the belts. The next oil change, I will be installing a Fumoto oil drain, with a nipple so a hose can be attached. The machine has gobs of power and torque!
  5. Ax Man

I hope no probs with the rods too!
    I'm running a 252 graveley with the Kawy 25 but plan on a 60 and want enough power to leave a good cut.